What are these brown spots in the plaster?

Roger Bull

Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
These spots started showing up after plastering even before filling. There seems to be a source pebble in each one. If I dig it out and acid treat the area, the spot goes away. The problem is that more and more are showing up and it has been 5 weeks since plastering. PB says he has no idea. Has anyone seen this before?
These photos were taken prior to acid wash and fill but the new ones look the same. Acid does clean the stain.
IMG_5490D.jpegIMG_5491.jpegIMG_5495.jpeg

Is this a new pool or re-plaster? It looks like rust stains. Have you tried rubbing a vitamin C tablet on one of the stains? If it takes it off it is rust. You may have some rebar ties close to the surface where the plaster is thin and the rust is bleeding through.

It's a re-plaster but I'm sure it's not rebar. It seems to be a contaminant in the pebble. I had not thought about abalone shell. I have one leftover bag of the pebble mix and will check it when I get home later. What happens with abalone shells?

Since acid cleans them up (temporarily) I'm starting to wonder if they are metal shavings from the mixer or pump. Will try to dig one out tomorrow to see if it is magnetic.

Reactions: mknauss
What happens with abalone shells?
Abalone shells that are properly treated will not be effected. Cheap abalone shells can break down and cause stains.

Yours does look like iron. Use vitamin C instead of acid to clean them. Acid will harm the plaster finish.

Mystery solved. It is caused by iron fragments. I dug out the center of a couple of the spots while holding a super magnet nearby. Each time the super magnet came up with a small piece of rusty iron less than a mm in diameter.
I'm letting the PB know now. I really could use some advice on how to proceed from here.

I suspect you will have to wait until they show up and do as you have done. I would use ascorbic acid instead of muriatic acid to clean them up.

Any guesses as to how long before they stop showing up?
I let the PB know and he has at least one other pool with the same problem. He is meeting with the plasterer tomorrow.
I told him I'd wait it out if the spots stopped appearing before the start of next season.

All depends on how many pieces of iron got mixed into your plaster. As the plaster surface erodes over the next 20 plus years I suspect more will show up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.