What am I missing?

amcelravy

May 18, 2022
Greenup IL
We had our pool put in last August. It was Green when we opened this spring with a lot of leaves and gunk in the water. Cleaned it out, ran filter constantly and I have shocked it multiple times and backwashed many times. It is getting better but still cloudy. PH is 7.4 alkalinity 120. Do I need to use a sand filter cleaner?

Welcome to TFP! We have our own way of maintaining pools. Please start by reading ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Then get your own Test Kits Compared. You will need it to SLAM Process because we dont Shock. We can guide you along, but for now add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine while you wait for your test kit to arrive so your pool wont get worst.
If you have questions, please fire away!

Welcome to TFP! We have our own way of maintaining pools. Please start by reading ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Then get your own Test Kits Compared. You will need it to SLAM Process because we dont Shock. We can guide you along, but for now add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine while you wait for your test kit to arrive so your pool wont get worst.
If you have questions, please fire away!
I misused the word shock. I have been using the Taylor K2006 test kit and I have read and reread the ABC of water chemistry and I do understand that the process used by TFP is different.
Last test yesterday evening results attached. Since that test I have added the suggested amounts of liquid chlorine and muriatic acid.
The water is still murky/cloudy.

Attachments

• 74F6CC12-4CCB-4F6D-BBA3-5640475169D6.jpeg
    74F6CC12-4CCB-4F6D-BBA3-5640475169D6.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 14
You're FC is very very low. It's too low even for when you're not trying to kill algae. When it goes low it's giving the algae the chance to multiple like crazy. Bring it back up to 16 and keep it there, testing every 2 hours as much as you can. Brush as much as you can.

I have been adding chlorine according to the calculations on the app. Right now I tested and current FC is 5 and CC is .4. I am going keep up the SLAM, water seems to be a little clearer this evening. Ty
After this test I added suggested chlorine to bring FC to 16 for SLAM. I will test again and continue the SLAM recommendations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water has cleared up a lot! Test levels today
FC 7.8
CC .2
Water is not crystal clear so I am SLAMMING again, and running vacuum. Thank you all for suggestions we are heading in the crystal clear direction!
Water has cleared up a lot! Test levels today
FC 7.8
CC .2
Water is not crystal clear so I am SLAMMING again, and running vacuum. Thank you all for suggestions we are heading in the crystal clear direction!

Attachments

• B4BAE23B-C751-4CF3-9749-3BD73D6E699E.png
    B4BAE23B-C751-4CF3-9749-3BD73D6E699E.png
    413.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 00EE15C2-3D99-40A0-87BF-3D2E3428E4EA.jpeg
    00EE15C2-3D99-40A0-87BF-3D2E3428E4EA.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 7
Keep going, and you'll get to water like the ones in this thread:

:)

Also you can test with 10ml of water, one scoop of powder, and count each drop as 0.5ml. That's precise enough for what you're doing and will save a lot of reagent and counting.

Reactions: amcelravy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.