What am I doing??

According to Pool Math, after you have used all of the pucks (container you link to on Amazon states 24 oz), and if your pool is 1700 gallons, you will raise your CYA to 59 which we'll call 60. You will also have to keep an eye on you PH as these will lower PH too.

There is no such thing as a chlorine only tablet. Most are trichlor and add stabilizer. There are very few that are Cal hypo and add calcium

Sorry. Since she said she was going to Walmart, every Walmart I've ever been to has sold HTH products. They sell two kinds, the orange lid that is stabilized, then the yellow lid which is not. According to their website their non-stabilized stuff is cal-hypo, so wouldn't those be an option for her once she gets her CYA to where it should be?

Hi, Elaine. You really can do this!

If this were my pool, I would fill it, test PH and FC. Then add the CYA granules via the sock method, and use Pool Math to figure out how much plain liquid chlorine (bleach) to add. Check PH and FC daily, dose liquid chlorine daily according to Pool Math.

If PH goes to 7.8, lower a bit with muriatic acid. I like to keep mine around 7.5.

That’s it. No worries about floaters, CYA getting too high, etc,

Hi, Elaine. You really can do this!

If this were my pool, I would fill it, test PH and FC. Then add the CYA granules via the sock method, and use Pool Math to figure out how much plain liquid chlorine (bleach) to add. Check PH and FC daily, dose liquid chlorine daily according to Pool Math.

If PH goes to 7.8, lower a bit with muriatic acid. I like to keep mine around 7.5.

That’s it. No worries about floaters, CYA getting too high, etc,

Thanks! I haven't been getting notifications of replies and I just so happened to come over here. Didn't mean to ignore anyone.

I finally got my drops kit, and it doesn't test CYA (sigh). But the strips still say CYA is 0. FC is at 2 according to the drops and the strips. PH is 7.3, again according to drops and strips. I haven't done anything differently since I filled the pool last week. Just the floater with the Kem Tek pucks and that's it. I was waiting to see if the pucks were going to raise the CYA but it has consistently been 0.

What test kit did you get? Must not be one of the kids we recommend.

The tablets are not going to add the stabilizer that quickly. They tend to slowly build up the cya. But while the cya is low, the chlorine is destroyed very quickly by the Sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP fellow "tiny" pool/small town owner!

We are also a "tiny" pool/small town owner. I follow the regular TFP pool standard care routine. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Our vinyl pools don't need calcium from the solid forms of pool "shock/sanitizer" [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Liquid Chlorine (or pure household Cleaning Bleach) is the best AND most affordable way to keep our pools safe for our toddlers to swim in! (Just make a note of the % of sodium hypochlorite, it will be needed for proper dosage)

Walmart sells the HTH drops test kit that also includes a CYA test tube, hth 6-Way Test Kit - Walmart.com this is "perfect" for our little pools.
... You can also get the Liquid Pool 10% Chlorine for $3.64 (or) possibly in the household cleaning section, there is cleaning 6% bleach for $1.77gal

You can use PoolMath (and the app) to find out exactly how much (of each/any) chemical to add for your pool size.
It's best if you set-up the pool details at the bottom of the chart first, it makes the information more accurate for your use!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.