what am i doing wrong???

I just vacuumed the entire pool using the old pump with no problems at all... and even though I only tried for a few minutes with the new one and it shows lower pressure on the gauge it's still pressurized everything to where I could hardly turn the handle on the top until I run a back wash and rinse a couple of times and release that pressure... I'm stumped but I'm guessing it's something simple that I'm overlooking and I'm not familiar with this new setup enough to identify it quickly

Kind of my thought... now to do some digging around and reading to see what I can figure out... if I figure anything else out I will post it here. :) thanks for the help and the guidance so far, and I'm sure I'll get this figured out, or at least find a good work around

If you rule-out all the basics, you might give Intex a quick call tomorrow. There's always a possibility that something is wrong with the multiport valve. That's about the only thing that comes to mind after all you've been through. With older equipment we might suggest taking it apart, but yours is new, so Intex may have another recommendation if the system is still under warranty.

About the only thing I have not tried is vacuum to waste but that is because I don't have an extra hose to run the water out the side of the yard and it will make a huge mess behind my setup... I definitely do not want to vacuum to waste all the time but if I can get an extra hose I may try it just to see if it solve the problem... just one more troubleshooting step. :)

and I have to say that although I kept saying a "pressure increase" above, it actually drops in pressure on the gauge when I turn on the pump. the increase in pressure is what I am calling it in relation to the handle not wanting to turn...anyways, I plan to check the lid to the strainer to be sure it is sealed correctly next time I can get outside to mess with things...

it actually drops in pressure on the gauge when I turn on the pump.
This would seem to be more in-line with a suction side air leak or obstruction from the pump back to the skimmer/hose inlet to the pool. I know you've said you checked everything many times, so it's a bit odd. It can also be caused by debris caught in that pump impeller. I'm typing so I don't want to lose my spot, but did you ever check that impeller on the new pump? It's the plastic fan blade-type item that can usually be felt (with power OFF!) by reaching into the pump and feeling to see if it spins relatively freely. Silly question, but on that new pump clear lid, did you ensure it was lubricated really well?

Also, when you reconnected the old pump temporality to check, was it just the pump or filter too? Just wondering if the correct amount of sand is in the new filter. :)

This would seem to be more in-line with a suction side air leak or obstruction from the pump back to the skimmer/hose inlet to the pool. I know you've said you checked everything many times, so it's a bit odd.
I have checked everything except the seal on the lid to the strainer basket...that just occurred to me last night as ran thru the logic of the system in my head over and over trying to find something to grab onto as the culprit...

It can also be caused by debris caught in that pump impeller. I'm typing so I don't want to lose my spot, but did you ever check that impeller on the new pump? It's the plastic fan blade-type item that can usually be felt (with power OFF!) by reaching into the pump and feeling to see if it spins relatively freely.
didn't even know this was a thing, but I will double check it...

Silly question, but on that new pump clear lid, did you ensure it was lubricated really well?
um, no, didn't do a thing with it, didn't know that was a thing either!!! that could very well be the issue actually! what do I lubricate it with? I do recall at one point having a huge leak from that lid because we didn't get the o-ring seated correctly, so maybe if I pull the lid off, lubricate the o-ring properly and reseat it, my issue will be solved! :)

Also, when you reconnected the old pump temporality to check, was it just the pump or filter too? Just wondering if the correct amount of sand is in the new filter. :smile:
I reconnected both the pump and the filter, which was quite filthy and dirty, but still worked just fine. I have not opened up the tank to check the sand since I filled it, but I know I put a 50 lb bag in and then a bit more from a 2nd bag as it called for 55lbs, and I made sure I was between the lines on minimum and maximum level...I can pull that open and check it also if needed.

we are looking at rain off and on for several days, so I am hoping I can find a few minutes here and there to go out and address things...will update as I can!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, it sounds as though sand level in your new filter should be okay - especially since it was marked with lines. As for the clear lid, just use silicon pool lube (i.e. Magic Lube). It's critical for sure. A new O-Ring with no lube will allow air to get sucked-in to the pump. Just make sure it's a pool-designed lube and not a petroleum-based product or something for home use like Vaseline.

Update on 8ntex auto vacuum...
I just unboxed my new vacuum that they sent to replace the other one. Right off the bat I could tell that it was not put together poorly like the other one was... the little motor inside was not loosen wobbly and did not have to be reset. More importantly there wasn't a fountain sprouting from one of the joints where the hoses go together. I know there's supposed to be some air and water leakage from each joint so that they will swivel and not get tangled but I actually had two joints on the old one that were downright spraspraying in and that's not happening on this one.... it has been in the water for about a half-hour now and hasn't stopped moving even once for more than a few seconds at a time... going to call this a win as long as it actually pick stuff up which I won't find out for a day or so...

Depending on what time I get home tomorrow and how the weather does between now and the end of the weekend I will be using my new tube of lubricant to get all of my own rings fixed and receded and then we'll try the regular vacuum again and see what happens

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.