What affects your PH?

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
I normally only check FC and PH regularly and usually only have to add chlorine. My PH was normally running around 7.6-7.8 and sometimes 7.4. Well the other day I added a little extra and got it down to 7.2 and my TA had been around 170-200 well tonight I checked and PH was up to 7.6 so I thought I'd check TA and it was 120. If I remember right TA affects PH so :handwave:was wondering if 120 is too low and if so how do you raise it?

A TA of 120 is not too low at all. Take a look at the Recommended Levels link below in my sig. You'll see you have plenty of flexibility. While aeration (and some products) will raise pH, that elevated TA will allow it to surge up easier as well. So you can let the TA continue to fall quite a bit which should help slow the rise of pH.

For what it's worth because you asked, baking soda is use to increase TA. :) But don't add any. :wink:

A TA of 120 is not too low at all. Take a look at the Recommended Levels link below in my sig. You'll see you have plenty of flexibility. While aeration (and some products) will raise pH, that elevated TA will allow it to surge up easier as well. So you can let the TA continue to fall quite a bit which should help slow the rise of pH.

For what it's worth because you asked, baking soda is use to increase TA. :) But don't add any. :wink:

Okay so link says TA needs to be 50-90+ so does that + mean there's no limit to how high it can be and still be okay? Also if I'm understanding correctly the PH doesn't have to be 7.2 it can be anywhere between 7.2 and 7.8 and that's okay?

I personally like to try to keep pH at 7.5 because I think that’s the level that minimizes discomfort to your eyes. I read somewhere that your eyes natural pH is 7.5

TA being high means that your pH will trend up. As you add acid to lower pH, TA is also reduced.

So if your pH is stable you can leave TA alone. If it gets too low then your pH can start bouncing around and that’s not good.

I personally like to try to keep pH at 7.5 because I think that’s the level that minimizes discomfort to your eyes. I read somewhere that your eyes natural pH is 7.5

TA being high means that your pH will trend up. As you add acid to lower pH, TA is also reduced.

So if your pH is stable you can leave TA alone. If it gets too low then your pH can start bouncing around and that’s not good.

So a PH of 7.4-7.6 is good? And is the TA of 120 better than the 170 or are both of them okay with the PH where it normally is? And when you say if TA gets too low....do you mean below the 50 mark or what?

- - - Updated - - -

So a PH of 7.4-7.6 is good? And is the TA of 120 better than the 170 or are both of them okay with the PH where it normally is? And when you say if TA gets too low....do you mean below the 50 mark or what?

a pH anywhere between 7.2-7.8 is considered fine.

TA below 50 is bad, your pH can swing wildly.

TA of 170 will gradually come down as you add acid to lower pH. With TA at that level I would check pH daily when you check your chlorine. When it gets to 7.8, use poolmath and set 7.2 as the target and add the amount of acid it tells you.

if you want to hurry the process along, aim the return jet up toward the surface so that it makes some bubbles. Aeration raises pH.

Good ode to see you asking questions as that’s how we learn. What test kit are you using? Are you using pool math and TFP principles?Can you post all numbers:
FC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Chemicals-Recommeded

I normally only check FC and PH regularly and usually only have to add chlorine. My PH was normally running around 7.6-7.8 and sometimes 7.4. Well the other day I added a little extra and got it down to 7.2 and my TA had been around 170-200 well tonight I checked and PH was up to 7.6 so I thought I'd check TA and it was 120. If I remember right TA affects PH so :handwave:was wondering if 120 is too low and if so how do you raise it?

a pH anywhere between 7.2-7.8 is considered fine.

TA below 50 is bad, your pH can swing wildly.

TA of 170 will gradually come down as you add acid to lower pH. With TA at that level I would check pH daily when you check your chlorine. When it gets to 7.8, use poolmath and set 7.2 as the target and add the amount of acid it tells you.

if you want to hurry the process along, aim the return jet up toward the surface so that it makes some bubbles. Aeration raises pH.

My TA was 170 the last time I checked it but tonight it was 120 so guess that's good huh? Also most of the time the return jet does spray above the water or at least half of it does depending on the water level because of how the pool has settled over time. So I'd say it seems all levels are good huh?

Good ode to see you asking questions as that’s how we learn. What test kit are you using? Are you using pool math and TFP principles?Can you post all numbers:
FC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Chemicals-Recommeded

Ctrav.....I've been a member of this site for awhile now. Started out the summer with a green pool got that cleared up pretty quick but had a cloudy pool forever and was listening to pool store people and using test strips for a long time then I found this site got the K-2006C kit and replaced a little more then have the water and have had clear water and normal tests results since. Very thankful for this site ����

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good to hear...We are all lucky to have TFPC around. You seem to have dealt with a lot in a month and overcome...good job!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.