Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I needed CYA and I couldn't find it at my usual places so we went to Leslie's. When we walked in a man asked what we needed and I said CYA. He said, why? Most people try to avoid it. I had 2 men staring at me like I was crazy. I said we have a SWG. Then they seemed OK with it. I thought it was funny that it never crossed their minds that I don't use pucks. I then got schooled on how I need to be careful adding it and I better know how much I needed to add. My husband chimed in and said, she knows exactly what she's doing and it's all high tech and precise. Then they quit questioning me about it. I think I prefer Home Depot and Lowe's where I can just get what I need without any questions.

My answer to their query of “Why?” (aside from saying “none of your business”) would have been, “because that’s what I have come in here to buy …”

Whenever I go to my local mom & pop pool store to buy CYA, the guy behind the counter is always like, “Oh, did you just drain and refill the pool?” (Because it’s quite common here for people to do that for CH control). I’m always like, “M-hmmm…”. I don’t allow conversation to happen and I always walk in with a scowl on my face. It makes them less likely to try to talk to me and the transaction happens without any attempt to sell me anything else.

Try working on your “mean face” in the mirror before going in. Be all business and direct. No chit chat.

I got lucky at Walmart a few days ago when stabilizer was on their clearance rack as they were making room for Christmas stuff. I added some yesterday. :)

full

PEOPLE !!!!!!!!! Have I taught you NOTHING????

When pool store folks ask a stupid question, lob an answer to match right back at them.

*Why do you want to add CYA*.

Haaaaa !! I don’t. The doctor said I had to cut salt out of my diet and my wife’s cooking is AWFUL. Anywho, That Gwenith Paltrow website says that CYA is delicious, so here we are.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My answer to their query of “Why?” (aside from saying “none of your business”) would have been, “because that’s what I have come in here to buy …”

Whenever I go to my local mom & pop pool store to buy CYA, the guy behind the counter is always like, “Oh, did you just drain and refill the pool?” (Because it’s quite common here for people to do that for CH control). I’m always like, “M-hmmm…”. I don’t allow conversation to happen and I always walk in with a scowl on my face. It makes them less likely to try to talk to me and the transaction happens without any attempt to sell me anything else.

Try working on your “mean face” in the mirror before going in. Be all business and direct. No chit chat.
2021-10-11_8-59-31.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.