RTR Deuce

Jul 1, 2021
North Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Long story short, went on vacation for awhile, left pool with brother, things got messed up. I just need someone to verify my thoughts about what I'm seeing. I've done a bad job keeping records.. for shame. I have tested though, and the pool hasn't fallen below 0 FC. CC is <= 0.5, which I read as borderline a problem. Every other level is fine, aside from CYA which is a little on the high end but still in an acceptable range.

For the past few days I've only added a bit of chlorine and monitored CC, it's always at or below 0.5ppm. So I was assuming I was ahead of the problem. My eyes tell me that is a not the case. There is an almost brownish-green algae that is coating the liner. I've been vacuuming it up, mostly, and figured some was just getting suspended and falling back down and settling for me to pick up later. Even gave the sand filter a good hosing and stir with my arm (Hope I didn't screw that up). I have decided to SLAM the pool, and have added 7 gallons of 10% in just now. I suppose the question is whether or not this was the appropriate course of action.

Cheers

Last night I accidentally? put too much liquid chlorine in, 2 FC over my SLAM goal. SLAM called for 24 FC and we tested 26 hours right before bed. The chemicals had about 2 hours to mix. This morning my FC is 23.5, so a loss of 2.5 FC. My CC tested at 0 and the pool is crystal clear. I'll keep the chlorine elevated throughout the day, vacuum tonight, backwash, and see how we look in the morning. Maybe I got lucky? Feels a little too good to be true.

Reactions: mknauss
2 FC over my SLAM goal
that is not a bad number, have seen many overshoot it by way more than just 2.

2.5 overnight means you stay in SLAM protocol, as something is in there eating the chlorine, despite the clear water. The more you can keep the FC levels at SLAM levels, the faster the process. Don't end it early because of clear water, that is just one of the criteria to end the SLAM.

The three things you need to end the SLAM.....

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear

Sometimes you can catch the algae outbreak early and eradicate it quickly, that would be good news for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.