Well received my test kit today...

Are you talking about FC? Not a typo. It's 5.5 right now. I thought I read minimum is 4.5 (CYA 55). Also a few posts back duraleigh said don't let it fall below 3. So I'm more confused now then ever. I realize target is 6-8 but I'm above minimum and close to target. Don't understand what I missing here. I can add a more bleach but don't quite understand the urgency here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWW, your FC at 5.5 is not too high nor too low. FC could stand to be a touch higher to allow for burn-off, but it isn't something to worry about. Don't be confused, you are doing good.

I think there was a misunderstanding about your pH being 5.5. A pH of 5.5 would be VERY bad.

Keep up the good work.

Ok I did add more chlorine to bring it up. I will check where it's at it a bit. I was worried I was reading something wrong. My pH was between 7.6 and 7.8. So I added a bit of acid to bring it down. Just trying to adjust slowly so I don't overshoot my goal. I wanted to be at 6 on chlorine. Nobody is swimming right now so I thought I could take up to 6 and then keep it above 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem.

I do have another followup question. FC was down to 4 from 6.5 when I tested yesterday at 3:45 this afternoon. Is that a normal amount given its a sunny spring day in Texas (CYA ~55)? If so I seems like I'm going to be going through a lot of bleach every week.

I do have another followup question. FC was down to 4 from 6.5 when I tested yesterday at 3:45 this afternoon. Is that a normal amount given its a sunny spring day in Texas (CYA ~55)? If so I seems like I'm going to be going through a lot of bleach every week.

You need to remember that what you think you're reading as 55 cya is really 60ppm and you need to dose it as such. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Having a 2ppm FC loss daily is totally normal. Consider it the sacrificial offering to the Sun Gods. Make sure you cover this amount in your daily FC goal so that you never go under the basement level amount that keeps algae away. So if your daily goal is 7-9, and you never want to go under 5, dose so that your pool stays 7-9. I'd dose to hit 10 knowing that I'll lose 2 and still be within the 7-9 range. Capice?

Also there is a chance your UV device chews up some FC as it passes over the cell. UVs are totally unnecessary for outdoor pools because the sun provides more UV than a device ever could and it hits the entire pool at one time.

Yeah, there is a certain understanding that all types of chlorine are a consumable item and will need replenishing. The only way to avoid hauling it home is to have a SWG device. Try buying liquid chlorine from a pool store because it will be higher strength so you haul less. Price shop around.

Yippee :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.