Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We have a well point plumbed beneath our deep end. As you would expect, there is a valve at the equipment pad to pull from the well point. My question is, how often should I pull from the well point? Our new liner will be installed any day now and I don’t want to risk floating it when I have a way to avoid it. Our current/old liner developed some wrinkles in the shallow end that I assume were due to it floating although I never saw it do it.

Our pool is currently empty while we wait for the new liner and the pump is continuously running and pulling from the well point. It pulls water every 15-20 seconds from the well point to keep water from filling the hopper.

So is your main pool pump is running all the time and the valve to the wellpoint is open? Running the pool pump dry isn't good for the seals.

I'd consider dropping a small float switch activated sump pump in the well point and letting it keep the level down.

Yeah it is currently running 24/7 per the pool companies recommendation to keep water off the pool floor till the liner comes in. The pump doesn’t stay full of water, but consistently pulls ground water every 15-20 seconds. I questioned them about keeping it running without constant water, but they reassured me it would be better to do that than water to seep in.

What’s the process to get a float switch pump in there? Dig it out and install it? Thanks!

Post a pic of the well point and we'll see if we can recommend something.
Most well points are just a hole near the deep end of the pool with a casing that you can drop an pump in. They usually have a lid of some sort over them.

If your pool is empty and you are throwing away the old liner, what is the risk of letting a little ground water get under the old liner? If it floats, who cares because you are getting a new liner very soon anyway. I had a huge tear in my told liner last summer so it sat for more than a month, while waiting on the new liner, with a foot or two of water sitting in the deep end (1st pic). This was actually a fun water slide when we first drained the pool. When the pool guys tore out the told liner, they just used a submersible pump to get all the water out. Even after they tore out the old liner, they kept forgetting parts for our drain so it took a few more days and the ground/rain water filled it up again (2nd pic). They just sucked out the old water again and put the new liner in.

Agree that running your pump with anything but constant water is a bad idea. That's like running your car engine with no oil. I probably don't have as high of a water table as you but a small submersible pump (Little Giant) would do the job much better than your main pool pump.

Attachments

• Old liner empty pool.jpg
    Old liner empty pool.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Pool with no liner.jpg
    Pool with no liner.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 18
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.