Well and septic suggestions?

Good idea to get your kit early but it doesn't test for metals. Check the EPA test results for your municipal water supply.

Chris

Our local public water supply compared to our well:

Item TestedWellCity
Free chlorine0.03 ppmnot a part of the city's report
Total Chlorine0.03 ppm1.67 ppm
Combined Chlorine0 ppmnot a part of the city's report
PH6.38.03
Hardness2 ppm23.8 ppm
Alkalinity15 ppm23.6 ppm
Cyanauric Acid2 ppmnot a part of the city's report
Copper0 ppmnot detected
Iron0 ppmnot detected
Phosphates108 ppbnot a part of the city's report
Salt00

I skimmed the replies but didn't see this.............If you want to stay with a well, install a whole house water softener with enough capacity to use your house water for refilling the pool.

Truck in water for starters but then use the softened water and you are good to go.

Luma,

Your city water actually looks pretty good. Where did the well test come from? Results look suspect. CYA is not naturally occurring and pH is very unusual/corrosive. Looks like typical pool store test results.

Luma,

Your city water actually looks pretty good. Where did the well test come from? Results look suspect. CYA is not naturally occurring and pH is very unusual/corrosive. Looks like typical pool store test results.
You're correct, it was a pool store test.

We do have very corrosive water. We can't use brass fittings in our plumbing, they just desolve after 6-8 years. The footer in our well is like that. We just budget to replace it. All other brass we've replaced with various other plastic type options.

I skimmed the replies but didn't see this.............If you want to stay with a well, install a whole house water softener with enough capacity to use your house water for refilling the pool.

Truck in water for starters but then use the softened water and you are good to go.
Thanks, Dave. We were trying to figure out what was best long-term. If a whole house water softening system would cost more than just switching to city (long term cost including filter material and wear) then we'd rather have city water.

My city water had moderate hardness so I installed my own whole house softener a few years ago and my costs were about $900 which validates Dave's installed cost guesstimate. I use softened water to add water when needed with no problem. You'll need a good analysis of the water to size/select the right softener. You can get a sample to a couple installers and get TIC price from each plus compare their test results. This would help you triangulate in on what the water quality really is. If your results from the pool store are even close pH is a bigger problem than hardness. But it has too many inconsistencies to be relied on.

My well water is over 300 ppm total hardness here in Florida. Probably a lot different in your location.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.