Weird weir

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I have a weir that was designed by someone that skipped a bunch of engineering classes.

It's attached by friction slipping a length of plastic through two sets of plastic 'claws' ... over the years both the plastic on the weir began to wear down, and the plastic claws lost their grip.

I replaced the weir a couple times but now, even with a brand new one, those useless little 'c' shaped claws no longer have enough material to hold the plastic bar. The slightest water disturbance dislodges it and it goes floating away.

Has anyone had a problem like this, and is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!

Some visuals:

weir1.jpg

weir2.jpg

Maybe a clamp like this., Cut some slots in the weir and use stainless steel screws to attach the clamps to the bottom plastic.

I'll have to see if I can put together a sketch, but stainless is safe for installation in a pool. My weir doors are held on by stainless screws.

Reactions: Cowbell
I attached a drawing, hopefully this helps. The blue bar at the bottom is the large round part that your existing clips attach too. What I am suggesting is that you cut a couple of square slots as indicated by the red boxes. Then attach some conduit clamps (made of stainless steel) to the bottom of your weir opening (using stainless screws) that fit through the slots, allowing your weir gate to move back and forth like it's supposed to. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Weir Drawing.jpg
    Weir Drawing.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 5
Aaaaaah, I see what you're saying. Hey that's pretty interesting - the only thing is how do I attach the clamps to the bottom of the opening? Can I drive screws right down into the bottom of the weir opening? Something about power tools, screws, and my essentially irreplaceable skimmer opening gets me a little nervous, but now that I understand what you're envisioning I'm tempted as it means that weir door will never go anywhere again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you use PVC glue to attach the tabs to the sides of your weir with the pins inserted into the tube at the bottom of the weir door. It looks like it is supposed to be permanent. I don't see why it couldn't stay installed permanently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.