Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi all,

One of my returns seems to have this weird surge of water (out of 3 total). It happens about every 2-3 minutes. I can see the water surge to the top, and then it settles down to not visible. It's been happening since our pool was installed one year ago. The skimmer baskets are clean, the pump pressure is a-ok.

Any thoughts?

That is strange. Is this return nearest to or farthest from the pump? Have you had someone stand by the pump and filter and denote if any change in pressure or sound occurs when you get this surge of water? (takes 2 people on a phone to denote any change at same time). It would seem you would see a change in filter pressure right prior to the surge at the return. According to your signature, this equipment is just 1 year old. Are you should your valves are on the return side are full open?
Just trying to think aloud as to what may be causing this. Did you happen to call your PB to ask?

That is strange. Is this return nearest to or farthest from the pump? Yes Have you had someone stand by the pump and filter and denote if any change in pressure or sound occurs when you get this surge of water? (takes 2 people on a phone to denote any change at same time). Nope, but will do when my husband gets home! It would seem you would see a change in filter pressure right prior to the surge at the return. According to your signature, this equipment is just 1 year old. Are you should your valves are on the return side are full open? Yes, they are.
Just trying to think aloud as to what may be causing this. Did you happen to call your PB to ask? No, but will ask when we close our pool in a few weeks. One of the PB's employees (an old classmate of my husband) is coming over to help/teach us how to close.

See above in red. And yes, it is odd and it drives me nuts! LOL

Just some more random thoughts to consider. If you have a variable speed pump - could this surge be occurring when there is a change in speeds? Normally a VS pump is set to run at a certain speed for x amount of time, then increase or decrease to another level of speed for x amount of time. Is your VS pump changing speeds often or when you this surge occurs? You say it is happening every 2-3 minutes so I don't think a VS pump is changing that much. Another point, could your pump impeller be clogged and it builds up a surge? When was last time you back washed or cleaned your DE filter?

Could it just be the way the water turbulence is changing over time?

I don’t get what you have but I do get little whirlpools appearing and then disappearing.

Have you put your hand in front of the jet and noticed a change?

No VS pump, no circulatory thingy, pump pressure looks great (last backwash was July 5th 2020).

I get the little whirlpools on the other 2 returns. This is just the black sheep. HA!

I haven't put my hand there, and last night was nuts so we didn't check the pressure. Hopefully tonight I'll remember!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few updates...

Hubs and I checked pressure with him standing at the filter. The needle didn't budge.
Eyeball isn't loose. I did add the grey cover a few months ago, but this happened with the original white and still with the grey.
Didn't put my hand there to feel because it was cold :LOL:

Odd, but if the pump is staying constant, I would think it would have to be something with the return changing directions (hopefully by design :) ) and you are just able to see the change when it is pointed towards the surface.

Reactions: HermanTX
Suggest you turn off the pump and put your hand in the cold water and feel the eyeball. Is it loose? Then turn on the pump and feel again. Any changes? This has us all baffled so would like to see this to resolution if there is one! Good Luck.

I think I am secretly scared that my youngest shoved something somewhere during the build (he's known for being a little Chucky...:devilish:)

I think I am secretly scared that my youngest shoved something somewhere during the build (he's known for being a little Chucky...:devilish:)
Maybe then turn off the pump, unscrew the eyeball and remove it. Then turn on pump to see if anything flies out.. Should be interesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.