Weird results from borax?

Jun 17, 2016
Houston/TX
In July 2022, I decided to follow the procedure within TFP to add borax to the pool. My goal was to stabilize pH rises and lower the frequency and amount of muriatic acid that I normally have to add.

However, after adding borax I find that I am having to add like 3X to 4X MORE muriatic acid to maintain pH at recommended levels, BUT the amount of salt I've had to add to the pool has dropped from about one 40 lb bag a month to nothing so far- I haven't had to add any salt since the borax treatment in July! Weird right?

Any ideas on why this might be?

Other bit of information - pool was re-plastered at the beginning of June 2022. Started Borax at the end of July . I am an experienced pool owner (15 years), TFP user for many years, but new to borax.

I use titrating test kits wherever possible. Test strips for the borax as I don't think there is a titrating test kit. Here are my typical pool chem levels:

Borax : ~45 ppm
Salt: 3200 ppm (tested with test strips and titration kits)
CH: 350 ppm
CA: 60 ppm
TA: 70 to 90 ppm
FC: 5 to 6 ppm
pH: targetting 7.6

Could it be that my borax is acutally higher than what I'm reading off the test strips ? Will too high borax levels cause this? Too low?

Thank you in advance for any help with this

I'm confused since I've never seen anyone test for and maintain a specific borax level. Also salt only needs to be replenished for splash out or a lot of rain. It's not something that goes away on its own.

I don't think there is a titrating test kit
In the first, up to 18 months, your pH rise WILL be higher because of the new plaster. Has nothing to do with Borates. With new plaster, we recommend NOT adding borates until the pH settles down (won't hurt anything, but won't help with pH rise from new plaster). Borates with a new plaster job will not stabilize pH.

Here is the drop test for borates. Very accurate, but you really need a speed stir.

Do you use pool math? If so, can you enable sharing with TFP in the settings on the app? I'd like to see your history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
My goal was to stabilize pH rises and lower the frequency and amount of muriatic acid that I normally have to add
Although borates do slow pH rise, more MA is needed to decrease pH levels than in a pool without borates.

In my pool, 11 oz. of MA decreases pH by 0.2 with a borate level of 0.0. With a borate level of 50 ppm , it takes 26 oz. of MA to decrease pH by the same amount.

In the first, up to 18 months, your pH rise WILL be higher because of the new plaster. Has nothing to do with Borates. With new plaster, we recommend NOT adding borates until the pH settles down (won't hurt anything, but won't help with pH rise from new plaster). Borates with a new plaster job will not stabilize pH.

Here is the drop test for borates. Very accurate, but you really need a speed stir.

Do you use pool math? If so, can you enable sharing with TFP in the settings on the app? I'd like to see your history.
Thank you! That's probably it. The new pool plaster. Since I've already got borates in there, I guess I've just wait till it dilutes out and then after the recommended 18 months are up, I'll try the borax again.

And thank you for the link to the borate drop test as well. I can never be sure of the test strips. The variations on the color scales are too subtle for my eyes.

I've only been using the pool math website link. I did not realize there is an app as well. I just downloaded it though and shared my most recent test results from today.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I just downloaded it though and shared my most recent test results from today.
For the next 12 months, be religious with entering your tests and additions. Great tool to get to know your FC usage through the seasons, pH rise and how it behaves over time. You will see the MA additions reduce and space out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will do that. Thanks!

Season 8 Plan GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.