Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
OK, this is very weird and I can't wrap my head around it...

2 weeks ago, my CYA was a bit low at 60, but I began a travel cycle for work and I didn't really have the time to do anything about it. Since then, it's rained a LOT here in Houston (on the brief time I was home, I had to drain the volume down a bit.

Here's where it gets weird. Due to the rain, salt and calcium are (as expected) lower than last time. By an amount that I would consider reasonable for the rain we've had. But.... My CYA went up. Way up. Like, it's about 90 now, maybe even 100. o_Oo_Oo_O I have definitely not added any in the last two weeks and nobody else has. The only thing I can think of is that my reagent is old (headed to Pinch a Penny to get some stuff later, so I'll get some new reagent).

Otherwise, the only difference is that we are in the middle of a heat wave and the pool temp went from 80 to 87 in the space of a week.

I'll update/redact if the new reagent shows a number that makes more sense.

Between an older reagent and perhaps the normal testing variance of CYA testing that drives us all nuts, I would just wait until you get some fresh R-0013. Keep your FC on the stronger end of your range just in case it is elevated. The heat is crazy over here as well, so watch the FC more than anything right now..

Reactions: Newdude
+1. The heat got to you and you're seeing things. The CYA remains the same. ;)

Dose conservatively in the meantime.

+1. The heat got to you and you're seeing things. The CYA remains the same. ;)

Dose conservatively in the meantime.
Do you mean dose CYA or cocktails conservatively? The former, I will definitely do until I get fresh reagent (the pool store didn't have any). The latter? Man, I just got back from Utah for work. I need to get my bloodstream balanced ASAP!

Since I couldn't find any reagent locally, I retested with the old stuff again and got a similar result, but maybe a bit lower? Still high knowing where it was, plus all of the rain that I know we had. Kept track of my chlorine all weekend and it was burning off quickly in the wicked heat, so I ended up dosing with bleach frequently (I had added salt earlier so was waiting for that to disperse fully before turning on the cell). New reagent should arrive today.

Update on this...

I got some new reagent and I'm still seeing some unexplained variability here and there that's driving me insane. I mean, I accept that a tight tolerance is not needed here- But previously, I could always make sense of what I was seeing. Could I be seeing things? Absolutely. My eyesight was significantly better than 20/20 for all of my life until recently, whereupon my peepers are all "Hey- we're 50+ years old now; We're going to start slacking off." The jerks.

My plan is to make me some standards and sneak some time onto the turbidimeter at work.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.