Weird Blue Stuff in Sand Filter

TA: 40
CH: 500–750 (still trying to figure out what "blue" means since it all seems like shades of purple)
CYA: 200 (I know this needs major adjustment; I did drain a bit of water the other day before we had some rain)
If this is accurate, then most of the TA was cyanurate and the pH was very low.

Probably destroyed the heat exchanger.

I just want to let the OP know he can only drain down to about 2 feet in the shallow end. This protects (we hope) the liner you have from shifting and wrinkling.
I greatly appreciate this reply. My shallow end is only three feet, so that sounds like I’d only be draining it down about a foot. The deep end is eight feet, so if I can only do a foot at a time, seems like this would have to be repeated quite a number of times to sufficiently dilute the water.

When I first tested it the sample turned red instead of green.

That means that the pH was below 4.5.

Basically, the test titrates the sample with sulfuric acid until the pH is 4.5 where you can see that the percentage of bicarbonate (TA total alkalinity) is zero.

The indicator dye is red below a pH of 4.5 and green at a pH above 4.5.

Percent bicarbonate (Y-axis) vs. pH (X-axis).

full

Reactions: Oly
I greatly appreciate this reply. My shallow end is only three feet, so that sounds like I’d only be draining it down about a foot. The deep end is eight feet, so if I can only do a foot at a time, seems like this would have to be repeated quite a number of times to sufficiently dilute the water.
You have some other options- read down to no drain water exchange

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don[t know if that is as feasible since its near impossible to get a Bromide level to check on progress? It uses a lot more water so that might be the trade off....
OR.... drain down to 1' in shallow end and use the "No Drain Water Exchange" on the remaining water!! I think that would work great! :kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.