Weir operation

IL_WS

Sep 18, 2012
IL, NW of Chicago
Maybe I don't fully understand the normal operation of the weir in my AGP's skimmer. It pivots along a single axis at the bottom. If water is a little too high, it freely floats towards the skimmer or pool with the pump off (thus releasing all the hard-earned skimmed junk). Are there different kinds that adjust to the pool water level such that it stays pointed towards the skimmer?

For skimming action, I almost always have the solar cover on, so there is little free surface movement.

The weir needs to pivot on the bottom to adjust for water height. The purpose of the weir is to generate water flow just at the surface of the water. Any other pivot point would allow non-surface water into the skimmer and greatly reduce the effectiveness of the skimmer.

I'm not sure why your weir would float to the pool side of the wall unless you have people splashing around in the pool. Unfortunately, the only way around this is to clean the skimmer basket of junk when the pump is off. If you use some of those disposable hairnets, it may capture the junk and hold it in the basket.

Your skimmer door should not pivot towards the pool. It should have a stop so that in only pivots inward towards the skimmer. Can you post a pic perhaps something is broken/missing.

Attached are several pictures of my weir. At the current water level, it is usually towards the outside of the pool when the water is relatively calm. When people are in with the pump off, it moves freely in either direction.

The weir is held in place with just the 2 points near the bottom. It doesn't adjust when the water level raises much.

So my question about operation. Should there be something in place that prevents it from rotating towards the inside of the pool? Are there by weirs for above ground pools that can adjust itself in height as the water level changes?

You can see from the floating plastic pieces that my solar cover is nearing the end of its life.
130c78df82351af94def2c263aed8e2e.jpg
95345bff35f3351660948b3bf859bff6.jpg

The weir should not go past vertical into the pool side of the skimmer throat.

Something appears to be missing from the top of the weir door.

Thanks. I now see that I only excluded the right side of the top of the door. I don't recall if there is anything there that should keep it from rotating towards the pool. I will probably just add some hot glue to the top to create enough of an obstacle.

How high is the water level? When the pump is on the flow of water into the skimmer should keep the weir down towards the skimmer basket. When the pump is off it should float to vertical and stay there.

I don’t see anything wrong with your weir door. Suction from the pump will keep it facing towards the basket and not out into the pool. That is exactly how mine works on my AGP.

The pivot is near the bottom and as such only buoyancy will help it stand up more.

I don’t see anything wrong in the pictures you show. I assumed your pump was off when you took those pictures.

The effective height of the weir is adjusted by how much it pivots. Not physically changing the height of the weir door itself.

I agree that the Weir should not be able to pivot out toward the pool. That would allow debris to float out of the skimmer when people are in jumping around creating waves while the pump is off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On an AGP Hayward skimmer, there is nothing stopping the weir door from opening to the pool side if the skimmer.
So far, this hasn’t been an issue for me having trapped debris coming out of the skimmer into the pool or even seeing the weir open past vertical. That said, my pump is usually running and my debris level is fairly low.

I only run my pump for 1-2 hours a day - enough to thoroughly mix my daily addition of bleach. The problem (weir door opening towards inside of pool) occurs only when the pump is turned off.

Right now, the water level is less than half way in the skimmer opening. At this height, I sometimes get a little air in the pump basket (needs a little more water), but the weir door usually is pointed towards the outside of the pool with the pump off. Lots of jumping around in the pool with the pump off will allow the door to go in any direction.

With water level much higher than about half way in skimmer opening, the weir door will randomly point either into or away from the pool, or toggle between with little water agitation.

I believe the fact that it CAN point towards the pool is a problem. I believe it has been this way since installation (2012).

Whether just poorly designed or missing a part, I think I would attach something to the skimmer opening to prevent the door from swinging pool side. That should not be too hard. The skimmer should be a one-way path for water to follow out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.