Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
How much snow/slush can a covered 24' AG pool safely withstand? The cover (with pillow) is attached with the standard steel cable/winch. The water level was dropped to 5" below the skimmer when closing the pool. Recently, our temps in northern PA have been in the zero to -15 F. range. Over the weekend, we received 15" of snow on top of a 2" thick layer of ice on the cover. The water level was frozen at about 3" below the skimmer just before the snow arrived last week. Yesterday and today, we have had steady rain and temp is around 35-38 degrees. Lots of slushy snow on top now. Temps are going to drop into the teens and remain cold for the next week or two, at least. Just ride it out, or is there something I should/could be doing to prevent a disaster?

When I use to use a cover, I would always remove snow after ea. snowfall as much as I could.
Eventually each layer of new snow would melt and re-freeze causing the unremovable level to raise .
I would keep an eye on the tension on cover around the pool.
I don't cover anymore and lower water to 6 inches below return, its now, ( snow level) to bottom of skimmer.
I would not worry about it if the cover is not trampoline tight.
If it is, there will be a lot of inward force if the water level is not suspending it and cause wall issues.

Thanks for the reply. When the cover was put on, I left plenty of slack. I'll go out and check the tension shortly. If it is very tight, I'll release some tension, leaving enough to keep the cover intact under the top rail. On a side note, my pool is a 24' round, making it very difficult to remove any snow more than about 6' from the edge. I noticed yours is a 16 x 32. That might help in removing snow closer to the middle, I guess. I have been very diligent in removing water from the cover, but always struggle once we get heavy snows and temps remain cold. I always worry about slashing a hole in the cover with the edge of a snow shovel as well.

When I was removing snow with a plastic shovel, scoop style, I would stay about a ft from wall for that reason of liner damage and try to move by hand the rest of it to the center and scoop.
A plastic roof rake could be used also, pull it toward you and scoop out. You most likely would only need one section of handle added, not the total length, like 10-12 ft I think. I use it around the roof edge to knock down drifts, neighbors are clueless on why I do this.
We live in the highest elevation in our county, so when they say it will be breezy outside, its very windy for us.
All of which is the reason I don't cover anymore, constant snow removal, no trees, very windy a lot of the time

Thanks. I think that's basically where I'm at. My cover, with about 10 inches of snow on top of about 1" of ice, is resting on the frozen pool water below it. Not much tension on the cover's cable or the cover itself; just enough to keep it from pulling out from under the top rail. Sound good?

LOL! Yes we do. BTW, temps projected to be in the 50's this week. Then quite cold again. Be tryin to get water off the cover by the end of the week, I bet. So much for pool care being a summer job, right?!?

pool_2snow.jpg
Agreed, let the cover rest on the water, the water will displace (or if frozen, support) the weight of the snow. Then you can drain or shovel (if you want) the excess snow.
This is our 2nd or 3rd winter with pool :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.