Wedding cake steps keep floating around

NoobDude

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2020
New York
I have a set of wedding cake steps that keep floating around like crazy. It has a large hole in the back where I put three 50 pound sand bags plus about 25 extra pounds of weight. can’t get them to stay still. I refuse to install the brackets that get screwed into the patio (patio was more expensive than the pool, lol). Any ideas?

B91AD6C2-2C0B-44A8-962C-5BE13B3292B9.jpeg

Greetings fellow recent person !!!! Is it only when the pump is on or all the time ?

Hmmmm. Some make stair weights by filling 3” PVC, at whatever length works, with cement and capping both ends. You could probably increase the weight holding them down quite a bit with that method.

What about making a bunch of 2 or 3 inch holes so that the water can flow though the stairs instead of pushing them ?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I 2nd the need to secure the stairs. That will make a lot of difference. They also look like they might make a great algae hotel if you don’t put some holes in there so water can flow through as well. I used a 2” hole saw to do that to mine in various places - i need to add a few more. The concrete in capped pvc pipes is magnificent- no algae & the ability to remove them individually.

You are going to have to anchor those steps to something stable. They are made of a very light material, and you are fighting against the buoyancy of the steps. Even with nearly 200 added pounds they still float, but if you take out one of the weights and drop it in the pool it will sink and stay securely on the floor without any problem. If you manage to find enough weight to stabilize them, you will probably end up with holes punched in the liner under the steps once gravity wins over buoyancy.

I have a set of wedding cake steps that keep floating around like crazy. It has a large hole in the back where I put three 50 pound sand bags plus about 25 extra pounds of weight. can’t get them to stay still. I refuse to install the brackets that get screwed into the patio (patio was more expensive than the pool, lol). Any ideas?
It needs more weight. Agreed on the mounting pole. My deck cost a lot more than the pool & they’re just unsightly too. Love my wedding steps though. Mine are stable. I have the pvc filled with cement. I can’t recall what they weigh though. Be sure the steps are smooth underneath, no plastic poking out or anything & I think you’d be fine adding an extra 75 lbs. Also, are these your actual steps? That back opening is not very big at all, I would think that would be hard to position the piping correctly & it could also be a possibility that there’s still a bit of air in there with them floating around. Maybe drill some extra holes around to allow water to come in from different directions. Also helps prevent algae growth.
View attachment 147592

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I 2nd the need to secure the stairs. That will make a lot of difference. They also look like they might make a great algae hotel if you don’t put some holes in there so water can flow through as well. I used a 2” hole saw to do that to mine in various places - i need to add a few more. The concrete in capped pvc pipes is magnificent- no algae & the ability to remove them individually.
Thanks. I did the concrete inside the capped PVC pipes but didn’t make a lick of a difference. These steps were born to float and Dang me if I try to stop them! Lol.

I just checked. The steps already have 16 little holes drilled in them. 8 on each side of the steps.

I’d rather get new steps. They look like a major trip hazard.

I don’t think you’ll find any steps without similar brackets to attach to your patio. All of the steps out there are going to have the same problem because they will all float and move without brackets to secure them.

I did have the same concern about tripping with my steps that are attached to my deck with similar brackets, but so far, at least, no one has tripped or stubbed a toe or anything on them.

Frankly, I think the unattached steps are also a hazard in that they may move out from under someone as they are trying to get in or out of the pool.

I wish you luck, but I’m afraid you’re fighting a losing battle here.

So I did a little googling and it looks like confer does make a ladder that will attach your deck/patio in a different way, without the tripping hazard brackets. You would still need to attach it, and it would be a ladder instead of steps, but it might be an option for you.

E8A70FC0-1B75-48A2-9EF3-83C60D82B334.jpeg

I’d rather get new steps. They look like a major trip hazard.
If the steps are getting thrown out, Cut half the bottom and back out similar to the rear hole that’s there already. Then go buck wild with a hole saw on the sides/risers. Sand any rough edges and try your weights.

if you accidentally cut out too much....... you were throwing them out anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.