Wear and Tear % vs. run time

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
With electricity costs removed from the equation: Which is better for getting the most life/running hours out of a SWG? Is it better to run the cell @50% for 12 hours or 25% for 24 hours or is it the same difference? Split run times maybe? What do YOU do!

Old Moderator /Newbie SWG owner here! Educate me.

Service life is service life, whether you use it up fast at 100% or drag it out at 25%. That's a big reason we over-size an SWG for the pool so it can be operated at a lower output. In my case, the pump runs 24/7 so I can leave my SWG output much lower than if I had shorter pump run times. But use whatever works for you. Each pool is a bit different. Enjoy your SWG! :cheers:

Reactions: HermanTX and Leebo
I figured as much and thanks folks. I just got it stuck in my head that if the cell is rated for 15k hours.........that that run time is at 100% for all those. So you mean I really can't get 30k hours by running it at 50%:(

Reactions: PoolStored
Once you find this part of the season's sweet spot for FC production, you are going to sit back and be on the lookout for when you need more production. It's the same as when the daily FC loss went from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3. Except now, instead of going to the store and lugging jugs, you'll press the 'more' button. Once. :ROFLMAO: and be good for 2 to 6 more weeks.

Try to set it to maintain the biggest loss day of that point in the season. You need to allow it to overproduce a little on the other days. You can drive yourself mad micromanaging it and if youre always messing with it, its not really making it easier. The key is you never go low. High is fine and most of it will be used eventually.

So you mean I really can't get 30k hours by running it at 50%
That's exactly what you'll get at 50%. 15k hours on and 15k hours off. 😁

full

Reactions: woodyp
+3 all the cell knows is it's either on or off.
Maybe I'm not getting it but if that's the case with the example above 25% at 24 hrs or 50% at 12 hrs are you saying the salt cell will have the same useful life on both as they are 6 hours? Or is one better at prolonging it. Thanks I'm just a bit confused if it's the same life then why do you want to oversize the cell?

Maybe I'm not getting it but if that's the case with the example above 25% at 24 hrs or 50% at 12 hrs are you saying the salt cell will have the same useful life on both as they are 6 hours?
The SWCG life is based on Generating Hours. So 25% for 24 hour or 50% for 12 hour is the same thing, 6 generating hours.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where did the 6 "generating" hours come from? 100% @ 6 hours?
24 hours at 25% = 6 hours on
12 hours at 50% = 6 hours on
6 hours at 100% = 6 hours on.

So all 3 scenarios would be equal in cell longevity or "run time" hours I assume.
Correct. Although @JoyfulNoise recommended not running at 100% when possible.

it might reduce cell life any compared to the other 2 ways.
I'm on the fence. If you gain a little bit of extended lifespan it's probably a wash from the extra electric used over the 5 years, If that was your sole reason to run longer times. For the majority of us already running longer times, it's a no brainer to dial the cell down a skootch. It won't hurt and it can only help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.