Weak skimmer action

M. Solarsystem

Gold Supporter
Apr 8, 2018
Redding, Ca
Hi all- happy summer!
It seems that my skimmer is not really in the market for skimming lately! Light debris seems to stay on the top of my pool all the time and I don’t recall it being like that in the past.
I cleaned my cartridge filter when I opened. My return me seem to be pumping water just fine. When I take out the skimmer basket, one of the holes has, what seems to be ample suction. ( my hand gets sucked in vigorous if placed over the opening)

not sure where else to look, or what to check for.
Thank you in advance for any tips or guidance.
M

Ok, well not to hijack or pump my own thread, but I have some more info!

I just went out to take a closer look at my skimmer. It looks like the water level is too high. The water is actually 1/4 inch above the top/ overhang where the weir door would close.
So I’ve tried adjusting my pool fill buoy, but it constantly runs, even when adjusted all the way back. I can manually lift it and it shuts off, but as soon as I let go, it resumes fill.
Anyone have an idea on this?

thank you!!

mark

Mark,

Skimmers work best when the water is about half way up the mouth of the skimmer..

For me anyway, if the water is too high, the skimming action is not as much.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yep! That’s what it was. I drained about 4” and it’s skimming like a champ. Then I disassembled the float mechanism and recalibrated it so it’s not always running.
Cheers!
Mark

Reactions: Jimrahbe and Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.