weak return flow

scout123

Bronze Supporter
Feb 18, 2018
Northwest GA
Asking for my cousin who just inherited her mom's house and pool. About 25,000 gallon in ground vinyl and 40 years old. No idea the age of the pump or filter (sand). Took cover off pool about 3 weeks ago after almost 2 years. She installed a Hayward SWG and has been working to clear the green swamp. The issue: When the pump is first turned on the water flows fine our of the returns and the swg will come on. After running about 4/5 hours, the flow is so low that the swg won't run and there is barely any water coming out of the returns. She can turn the pump off for a few minutes, and when she turns it back on it works fine again. ?? What do you think she has going on? thanks

The algae in the green swamp is clogging the filter.

Have your cousin get on here and we will help her.
I've tried. She said she came here and it was too overwhelming. I took my Taylor test kit to her house (she uses strips) and showed her how to use it, printed out SLAM instructions, made a step by step list for her......she decided she'd rather follow her brother's advice and throw some bags of shock in the pool, pucks in the skimmer and the swg. Frustrating!
However, her water has gone from swamp green to just a bit cloudy. I tested and she only had 2ppm FC, but CC was 0, which surprised me. She was backwashing her filter often at first. Do you think, with her pool almost clear now, that it still could be the algae? I wonder if changing out the sand would help? We are not sure how long the sand has been in the filter. I"m just trying to give her ideas while slowly pushing her this way. She ordered a proper test kit today! Baby steps.

It's algae. You can have algae with a CC of 0. That is why the SLAM has 3 exit criteria. Cloudy water means algae. Only an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test will finally tell you it is algae free.

Why Do I Have Algae With a CC of 0?
You'd think after obsessively reading on this site for the last 2 years, I'd know all this by now, but I did not know that you could have CC 0 and have algae. Thank you for teaching me something new today!

No good deed goes unpunished. Until your cousin decides to learn, she will simply return to her old ways of pool care. You are to be applauded for your efforts but things will not change unless she does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.