We will be away for a week…

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
Hello. I'm going to be away for a little over a week and my SWG is not working currently. Best way to maintain Chlorine while I'm away assuming nobody can come to my house to help. Dump a whole bunch of bleach before I leave? To slam levels? Put in a bunch of Chlorine tablets into a floater?

Using tablets is dependent on your CYA level. As you have been using a SWCG in the past, I will assume your CYA is 70-80. Tablets will put that number a fair bit higher in a week. If CYA is low, you would be fine. Ideally, with your daily chlorine demand in mind, having someone come every day or two to put in a pre-measured dose of bleach.

Jim,

I have the same issue periodically. You need to know your CYA level to do this right but I take my FC level to the high end of the range for my CYA level using liquid chlorine. Then I add 2 trichlor tablets to the inline chlorinator for each week. When I get home the FC level is in the middle of the range or higher. You have a much larger pool so I'd use at least 6 tablets. Each pool has it's own chemistry and chlorine demand so it would be good if you could do a little test with one tablet and check your chlorine drop then ratio up. I also run my CYA at the low end of the range so I can use the tablets without going too high on CYA. The rest of the time I use liquid bleach which is very similar to the chlorine generator you usually use. Other than travel I use liquid bleach only and only add trichlor if my CYA level drops below the minimum. Chlorine consumption is not linear so this wouldn't work over longer time periods but I have done this several times for a week and once for 2 weeks with no issues.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Dump a whole bunch of bleach before I leave? To slam levels? Put in a bunch of Chlorine tablets into a floater?

That seems to be your best option. I was away for three days and just put it up to shock level before I left. When I got back it was at 5ppm. Another day and it would not have worked out so well. The chlorine tablets in a floater should be able to keep it from falling too fast. I can't wait to complete the stenner pump install.

Chris-
When you say high end of range for CYA level, I am unsure what you mean...I use liquid bleach all the time and have never used tablets as I am aware they raise CYA. Mine is currently about 60-70 right now BTW. Just don't know what you mean by highe end of the range for CYA level.

Jim:

If you are going away for a little over one week, the SLAM levels may not work. The pool will loose a % daily and not your normal daily amount. Your pool is quite large, so probability is you have a safety cover, which is quite large. If you have a regular tarp, you can bring up to SLAM levels and cover the pool. But please make sure that the gates are all locked and no one can get back there. This will definitely work. My pool is going to be down for 2 days when the heater is installed so I plan on cover the pool (all depends on the weather).

Outside of this, you can bring up to SLAM levels and have a neighbor maybe add a few more gallons in between your vacation. Personally, I would fill up 2 - 5 gallon buckets with bleach and water, place a lid and put in the shade. Then your neighbor can add the buckets without splashing themselves. Outside of this, if you come back to a cloudy pool, clearly you can clean up in a few days. The tablets will only lower your PH and increase your CYA, depending on where your level is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.