We are designing a pool, but have a 5ft drop from the side closest to the house to the back of the pool

JG1981

Aug 17, 2019
Denton TX
We are having a hard time visualizing what we can do with a 5ft from where the house is to the farthest side of the pool away from the house. Does anyone have any pictures of how you handled that drop? We are thinking of a retaining wall close to the house that would make that drop 1-2 feet, and then the rest of the drop on the farthest side of the pool. Our issue is also what to do with the yard (1.5 acre) it kind of makes it a little choppy. I like the pool design itself, but not in love with what the yard as a whole will look like in the end.

Consider doing an infinity edge.

Then, you can build up around the sides and do decking.

Below can be a second level.

What are the things that you want to have?

What size, shape, pool type etc?

What's the budget?

I kind of like splitting the difference in your case. The wall close to the house would make a nice backdrop for the pool area.

Here are few of our backyard to show how we dealt with the slope and overall space (1 acre). Total elevation change is about 30' with about 6' from the retaining wall to the opposite side of the pool. We kept space near the house for a basketball court and general yard/wood deck space. And space below the pool for a sports/open area. Since our pool is only open 6 months of the year, it worked for us to not have it right up against the house. It's a getaway, which frankly is awesome, but not for everyone.

We had a substantial drop from our back porch to where we wanted the pool, 15' off of the back porch. They installed a wall about 9 feet high, then backfilled with rock. Notice the small hole they had to dig to set in the Fiberglass pool. We saw a house with a retaining wall then the pool, but it blocked the view of the pool from the house, this is why we opted for the wall to be on the backside of the pool. (sorry the wall pic is out of sequence)

Attachments

• Just Starting Slope.jpg
    Just Starting Slope.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Pool Elevated.jpg
    Pool Elevated.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Pool Finished.jpg
    Pool Finished.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 46
We had a larger slope than originally anticipated. Our PB was not good with any visualization or imaging, so I was a bit taken back by how much of a drop there was. We opted for a boulder wall that tapers out into our 'back' yard. It is still ned, but I envision a bunch of Rock Cress planted on top to fall down over the boulders.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.