Doing some DIY pool renovation. The old waterline tile was beveled on the bottom edge - so - there was not a recessed bed that the tile was set into. New tile is just under 1/4" thick and is not finished/beveled on the bottom. Any suggestions as to a product to use to bevel from the front of the tile down to the pool wall? I used Henry Feather Finish in the past for some gouges in the plaster/gunite (with epoxy paint over it) and it worked great. But, this is a large area as the pool is 20x40. The brown under the tile in the photos is hydraulic cement which didn't work. We will grind that out and start again. Also, we will be epoxy painting as soon as we figure this out. Thanks for all your help, folks.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 49
Yes - the bottom of the tile is completely exposed. I want to fill in from the front of the tile back to the pool wall surface - so that there isn't a 1/4" drop-off from the front of the tile to the pool surface.
There have been three sets of waterline tile on this pool since it was built in 1959. The first was beveled on the bottom back to the pool wall, the second was beveled back to the pool wall with grout that failed miserably.

OK, the pics were a bit misleading and viewed as the opposite scenario and assume the tile was added later than original plaster. Seems to grind a bevel is going to leave a white line, which would mimic a grout line, which I guess what was was done last to cover a bad bevel job, which I would imagine is near impossible to achieve once installed. If the tiles were on the ground, I could envision it being done on table with guides to give a more uniform line.

A re-plaster would probably bring both back into being on plane with each other, but outside of that, if mine and needed something to look decent, I would feather the missing plaster out to tile. Though, you will probably have lack of longevity issue as with the grout.

*BUMP PLEASE*

HI - curious how you resolved this (if you resolved it).

I'm in a similar situation, but have not yet installed the tile.

I watched a video today of somebody just using extra thinset (Laticrete 254 Platinum) to feather it out, but I don't think that would last very long.

My issue was caused by the topline of the plaster being ripped away when the tiles fell out and were mechanically removed. I am going to attempt to fill the difference with plaster repair when I mix for the rest of the repair jobs... unless of course, you found a better solution!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.