WaterGuru Sense Test v. TF-100

I just got mine a week ago, and am still a bit up in the air about it. With and SWG and auto cover, and not using the pool daily, it has been a struggle to keep my FC at good levels (constantly adjusting the SWG output depending on my usage, and needing to test daily), so I am hopeful that this will make my life somewhat easier. However, so far it seems to consistently measure 1.5-2 ppm lower than what I get with the TF-100 test kit. (Ph is right on)

I’m not sure if there a limitations at higher FC with their test — I try to run at 5-7 ppm given my CYA level and that if I do use the pool all day (it’s in full sun), my FCs can drop by 3ppm even at 100% SWG output. They suggest that the right level for FC is 3 in their app.

I definitely like it. It seems to be pretty accurate for me. I shocked my pool the day it was delivered and when I installed it I was alerted to the high fc level. Ph was 7.2 and I added borax and the next day it was 7.5. Pretty much on par with the taylor kit. FC max seems to be 10ppm in the app. The app could use some fine tuning but I highly recommend the waterguru. I had to modify my skimmer a bit to accommodate the depth of the guru for my ag pool, but it was no big deal.

Did you happen to compare the FC reading to your taylor kit? I agree that the pH seems to be right on, but it is consistently showing ~1.5ppm lower than what I get using the FAS/DPD test (which I think should be pretty accurate). I guess if it stays consistent, I can just add 1.5, but makes we wonder how much I can trust it.

I'm curious also. I've got a SWCG and my water stays so clear and sparkly so effortlessly, I tend to fall off my testing. 😬 I realize this isn't ideal, but I've gotten lazy. Thought maybe something like this might help. Generally my pH is the one that swings (high), so it would be nice to be able to watch that closer.

Anyone else with a water guru having problems with its flow rate measurement? Mine is saying my flow is below 3 gpm through the skimmer, but a flowvis I have attached to my plumbing is reading 30 gpm with the main drains turned off (I only have one skimmer).

Anyone else with a water guru having problems with its flow rate measurement? Mine is saying my flow is below 3 gpm through the skimmer, but a flowvis I have attached to my plumbing is reading 30 gpm with the main drains turned off (I only have one skimmer).
Maybe the dangle thing is facing the wrong direction? That can make a difference I think. Do you have the mesh bag around it? If not the testing port might be clogged.

Is there parts you need to replace with this unit?
Parts? It takes batteries and there is a cartridge that needs to be replaced every two months. Other than that, no other parts. As I mentioned in another thread, I have been using this daily since November 2019 and it has stopped working. I have asked for assistance from the WG folks, but outside the initial email asking me to change the cartridge, I have not heard back from them. With that, I don't recommend this product at this time.

FYI I did end up buying a Waterguru and am so far happy with the results vs my Taylor K-2006 kit. I use liquid chlorine and measure in the morning about 30 min after the pump turns on. If this continues for the week I'll probably trust it enough to maybe manual measure only once a week on the weekend.

Waterguru vs Taylor

FC
5.5, 6.5
2.0, 2.0
0.3, 0.5

pH
7.0, 7.0
7.5, 7.5 (added some pH up)
7.4, 7.4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI I did end up buying a Waterguru and am so far happy with the results vs my Taylor K-2006 kit. I use liquid chlorine and measure in the morning about 30 min after the pump turns on. If this continues for the week I'll probably trust it enough to maybe manual measure only once a week on the weekend.
For what it's worth, I don't think you can do "manual only" measurements unless you remove the batteries. I don't recall seeing this as an option and I *think* I asked about this when I first ordered it and was told that wasn't an option. There was also something about the cartridge only being good for so long once opened, whether it is used or not. I don't recall the specifics. There is a member here that was involved somewhat in the development, so if you search out Water Guru, you may be able to figure out who the member is.

Mine stopped working after a week and I have emailed and tried calling them for the past 2 days with no response.
I finally heard from them and while they originally said they were going to send a new cartridge they have changed the tune and are sending a new unit...so they say. I will report back if/when I get it.

When he says manual measurement he means with a dropper kit.

This ;)

Another update. Added some liquid chlorine the other day and looks like a trend is starting to form. When the FC level is higher it seems to be less accurate. I've seen twice now when I'm measuring with the dropper kit my FC is 5-6 and water guru thinks its 1.0-1.5 lower. I suppose this is fine as long as its more accurate at lower levels. When its high like that I guess you're not worrying about it anyway since you just added or you just shocked. I'll keep an eye on this and update if this changes.

pH seems to be spot on still. I've been 7.0-7.5 since using it for a week and it matches my dropper test results.

Temp right on as well compared to a cheap in pool thermometer hanging off the ladder.

Reactions: HeyEng
Update to the update. New unit showed up today and while it was a pain to get it set up in the app, once I got that squared away, it started working again. Jury is still out whether I think this is a good product or not...

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
has anyone had issues with pH measurements on this? everyone seems to say the pH is right on or very close, but for me the new unit they sent (after the first one stopped working similar to others here) seems to be way off.

the first unit i had was pretty accurate with pH, just like others here have stated. the new one not so much: i added a second dose of CYA over the weekend, so i was pretty surprised when the waterguru showed my pH this morning back up to 7.8 already. so i pulled out my K-1000 to verify...it's not. it's 7.5.

ran a second manual test via the waterguru app. this time, it measured 7.9. did a second test with the drop kit...7.5 again.

not good. i contacted their support, we'll see what happens. pretty much the only thing i wanted this for was keeping daily track of the pH. the chlorine i figure will be pretty close once i get the SWG dialed in that as long as the waterguru measurement is close, i would feel safe with weekly testing of CL and maybe just one or two days during the week to verify it's all good...but if the pH measurements are going to be off by as much as 0.4 from day to day, that makes it pretty much useless to me.

hoping this is an anomaly...

my PH is spot on. My chlorine is also spot on at lower levels (1-3), but when the cholorine levels get higher the water guru reads low.

yeah, that seems to be the consensus. not sure what's going on with mine, i guess i'll just have to wait and see what support says.

if they have to replace the entire unit again though, this will be my third in less than two months...

My wife and son got me the WG for Father's day - we also got the square attachment that they sell to fit it in my skimmer.
The app was a pain to setup - had to email support to get it squared away. Used it for close to 2 weeks - I desperately tried to make it work - but both FC and pH compared to the TF100 were constantly wrong (if my TF100 showed 4 ppm - the WG said it was 2. The pH was worse - always gave me an alert the pH was high). The other issue was had to have my phone very close to it for the bluetooth to work - and it took an inordinate amount of time to get results. The other way is to use their cloud service which takes even longer.

Maybe I got a faulty unit - but for the time it took to give me the results (which were wrong) the TF100 tests were so much faster to finish.

The only good thing about it was the return policy - they took it back without any complaints and refunded our money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.