Waterfall woes

Next steps, ignore if already done:
1. . Go back to skimmers, where the pump is taking suction from, and verify that you are not drawing air in from there, either with too much flow, improper level, or a stuck weir door.
2. Replace all O-rings (basket cover, drain ports, suction line union) with new o-rings liberally lubricated with silicone grease for pools (Magic Lube II or equivalent)
3. When reinstalling, make sure the o-rings are properly aligned, not twisted, and properly seated.
4. Replace PVC in suction line from the pump back to the first joint.

Next steps, ignore if already done:
1. . Go back to skimmers, where the pump is taking suction from, and verify that you are not drawing air in from there, either with too much flow, improper level, or a stuck weir door.
2. Replace all O-rings (basket cover, drain ports, suction line union) with new o-rings liberally lubricated with silicone grease for pools (Magic Lube II or equivalent)
3. When reinstalling, make sure the o-rings are properly aligned, not twisted, and properly seated.
4. Replace PVC in suction line from the pump back to the first joint.
We have completed #1-4, unfortunately. There’s nothing else for me to replace…but just for s&g’s I will try the drain o-rings (which were just replaced when I got the motor).

I know I’ve asked this a few times already…but what if it’s an underground break? At what point do I have to go down that route?

I know I’ve asked this a few times already…but what if it’s an underground break? At what point do I have to go down that route?
When all other options have failed.
As a next step, you could call a local leak detection company. I used American Leak Detectors, not an endorsement per se, just for info.
You could try a pressure test on your plumbing, which is a service the leak detector companies provide, but it is possible to DIY if your handy. Get some plugs like these that are the appropriate size, insert them in your return lines. Do the same in your skimmers or get specific skimmer plugs. You should have a point in your system either at the pump or the top of your filter where you can hook up an air quick disconnect and pressure gauge and press up your system. See if it holds pressure (I wouldn't go over 20 psi) and if not start looking for bubbles or listening for hissing air. Also can apply a soap bubble solution and look for air leaks like when testing gas systems.
Keep in mind, this is not a normal thing that people do to there pools, there are risks involved and there is real potential you could damage something if the pressure gets too high. However, I have done this on my own system without breaking anything.

Rod,

If we assume your pump is working fine, which is not a given, it has to be something between the pump and the skimmer.

You can plug the intake line of the skimmer and then use a bladder to plug the pump end. You can pressurize the line and see if it holds pressure or not.

Something like this...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.