Waterfall Spillway Radius Question

GaryParr

Aug 21, 2020
Rhode Island
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have waterfalls on a radius portion of their pool and, if so, did you do flat-front spillways or radius-cut spillways?

We are planning on putting a combination waterfall/kid-jump-platform on our pool similar to the one pictured here:

1617203694614.png

The spillways currently planned are three 18" ones from INYO. The deep end of my pool is a 9' 6" radius circle. I can get the spillways either flat or radius cut to match. On this, I have questions.

Does the radius cut impact the look and flow of the water?

If the spillway is right up under the overhanging slab top of the structure, would you even notice a flat-front spillway protruding a bit in the center?

Thanks,
Gary

Hi everyone,

I posted over in the build forum, but then realized after getting no responses that perhaps I should have posted in this forum instead. We are planning on putting a combination waterfall/kid-jump-platform on our pool similar to the one pictured here:

The deep end of my pool is a 9' 6" radius circle, so perhaps a little tighter curve than what is pictured there. Hard to tell. Anyway, we were originally thinking of using three 18" spillways from INYO spaced about 6" apart. But then we noticed INYO can radius cut those things on request, and that leads to questions.

First question... does anyone know what kind of impact a radius cut spillway has on the appearance and flow? My concern would be a noticeably uneven stream with the outsides lighter than the center.

Second question is... if we used those 3 flat facing spillways as originally thought, does anyone think it would look too "blocky" on that curve? My better half thinks it would but I'm not so sure it would really even be noticeable.

Thanks,
Gary

I think you have no responses so far because few people have experience with radius cut spillways and even fewer can contrast radius cut with straight spillways.

I would mock up a 9'6" radius cardboard box to simulate the area and put some 18" straight wooden rods under it and see how it looks. I think18" straight may not be obvious in a 9' radius but I would want to see it.

Yeah, that probably makes sense.

We did a sort-of mock up by placing 18" 2x4 blocks on the edge of the pool around the corner, spaced out about where we would want them in the finished structure. Didn't look like they would really be noticeable, especially considering they would be up under the concrete lip of the jumping platform.

Thanks for the input!

Gary

Hi all,

Going to be putting in a combo waterfall/jumping platform very similar to the one pictured here...

Of course, since there will be three spillways it will be impossible to get even pressure distribution. I have a single 1.5" pipe going to this location. I'm thinking I can use a double-y like this...

1617309503569.png

My assumption is the strongest flow would be the center. If I put a ball valve coming out of that to reduce the center flow, that should really be the only thing I need. Right? Or is this one of those situations where I should just suck it up, spend the extra $20 to put a cheap ball-valve on each branch?

My other assumption is that getting the pressure even between the three spillways should be a set-it-once-and-forget it thing, so cheap ball valves are fine.

Thanks for any thoughts or input on this!
Gary

If you do ball valves they will become non-adjustable in a few years once they stick.

I would do three valves.

Ha! Looks like my posts were all merged. That's good... I guess they were all very related... my brain is just a million places right now and I wasn't thinking clearly. So, THANKS to whoever did that!

If you do ball valves they will become non-adjustable in a few years once they stick.

I would do three valves.

Do you think it would matter if they become non-adjustable? They would be inside that concrete and block structure anyway with the only way to access them being to take the top off... which will be a "holy cow, something broke and needs to be repaired" once every 5 year thing hopefully.

Reactions: mknauss
Do you think it would matter if they become non-adjustable? They would be inside that concrete and block structure anyway with the only way to access them being to take the top off... which will be a "holy cow, something broke and needs to be repaired" once every 5 year thing hopefully.

Hard to predict the future. But if you use the ball valves and need to adjust the flow down the road you will regret not having spent a few more $$s on diverters.

Reactions: GaryParr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.