Waterfall Sheer Laminar flow breaks

Aeroknut

Feb 19, 2020
Forney, TX
This just started after 6 months of running. It occurs at both lower and higher pump speeds. Probing w a thin shim does not reveal any blocks and the “break” seems to occur at one of the pre-fabbed internal supports that exist every 4” or so. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 34
Yep, sure “looks” that way but nothing is visible or can b probed several inches back. I don’t know the inner construction of these things so not really sure how far back the small flow divider that’s inside goes.

I found these two technical documents that seem to be applicable (I do not know the brand/make of the sheer but this seems close enough). Unfortunately I am able to fill out all of the suggested troubleshooting steps as the possible source of the problem.

Attachments

• 555AB4CA-625D-4326-A17A-A3BE13EB41C0.png
    555AB4CA-625D-4326-A17A-A3BE13EB41C0.png
    101 KB · Views: 5
  • 71423A3C-EE6C-4054-998C-8A8141EE65B4.png
    71423A3C-EE6C-4054-998C-8A8141EE65B4.png
    97 KB · Views: 5
A,

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

Do your sheers have their own pump and no filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.
A,

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

Do your sheers have their own pump and no filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

All three sheers are plumbed from the pool pump/filter and share the same water source with a T to shut individual sheers off (similar to the attached diagram. The flow to the sheers is unobstructed.

Attachments

• CA956DC2-4881-4071-B7CB-150C853FFA62.png
    CA956DC2-4881-4071-B7CB-150C853FFA62.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 5
A,

You did not answer my question about your filter???

Jim R.
My apologies. From a mechanical design/physics standpoint, given the problem as described, I didn’t see the relevance of the question but if it helps u in some way the filter is the main pool filter which was last cleaned approximately 3-4 weeks before the problem presented and presents no indications of a flow problem via the pressure gauge or any of the other pool return lines to include the other two sheers feed from the same pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Problem update:

I ended up creating a 7” long “probe” using Flat, skinny plastic toilet bowl shims and ran it into the gap and along the sides of the flow dividers. I never felt any stiffness or restrictions and at first the problem remained.

It then occurred to me that pretty much any place water exists/flows will develop a fine film/growth and there isn’t really any process provided to clean or scrub the insides of the sheers so....

I changed my approach and basically attempted to rub/scrub the sides of the flow divider and after a minute or so of this the flow returned to normal.

After considering all the details I have decided to run the sheers a bit more consistently and add this routing to a seasonal cleaning process.

Thanks everyone for all of your assistance.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.