Waterfall Pump (Pentair WFE-12)

esh1982

Jan 30, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Currently have a Pentair WFE-12 serving my pool's waterfall feature and thinking of changing it out for a more energy efficient unit. I monitor my electrical usage from my providers (PGE) website and see a marked increase in usage, with all things being equal (pool filter running same schedule, no AC, etc), when the pump runs for an extended period of time. Any recommendations on a replacement? If the pump appears to be running fine is it better to wait for it to fail then replace?

What type of waterfall?

How long of pipe run/rise to the waterfall?

Is the pump a 3 HP?

Do you believe you could run the feature at lower RPM's and still get the desired effect?

How many hours per day/week do you run the waterfall?

What type of pump do you use for pool circulation?

I recently removed a WhisperFlo 2 HP pump that ran my rock slide/waterfall and combined the plumbing with the IntelliFlo VS pool pump. I'm able to run the waterfall at lower RPM's at while circulating water through the filter. There are some tradeoffs, but I'm happy with the results.

Last edited:
My waterfall is about 2'Hx15'W at the back/center of my pool with a 6"x12"x15' trough in the back of it that has 5 supply side connections.

From the pump to the waterfall is about 200'.

Yes, the pump is 3HP.

Yes, that is my idea, run lower speed to gain the same effect. Not really looking to remove the pump and connect to my filter pump, just interested in more energy efficient options.

We probably use the waterfall 6-15 hours a week.

My filter pump is a Intelliflow 2 VST.

You can run a pump at a lower speed to save energy but I doubt your waterfall will have the same effect.

Yep. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing a 3 HP pump was installed because it was need to move the water. A 3 HP pump runs at over 3000 watts, but you'd probably need to run a VS at high speeds to get the water to move. At 6-15 hours a week of runtime, it may not be worth the investment. @mas985 may be able to provide some guidance?

I believe the WhisperFlo and IntelliFlo pumps use the same pump body. If it's not too much work and the pumps are fitted with unions, you could hook up the VS to the waterfall plumbing and test it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.