Waterfall flow Low

nafreire

Jul 15, 2021
toronto,ontario, canada
This is my second year with my pool, and last year after the pool was finished I had full flow on the waterfall and never needed the pump at %100. I think I had the pump at %70/%80 when the waterfall was on. This year since opening the pool I have struggle to get the same flow. Below is what the waterfall looks like running at %100. I was wondering if the valve in the picture below can be adjusted to send more flow to the waterfall and less to the return? Maybe the PB had this adjusted last year and that's the reason for the different flow? I have cleaned my filter with water only. Picture below of what my filters look like. I have also cleaned the waterfall with a credit card, but nothing has changed the flow.

1655994193350.png

1655994272643.png
1655994313255.png

NAF,

The number one reason that waterfalls run slow is that the filter is clogged
The number two reason that waterfalls run slow is that the pump speed is not fast enough.

It could be a valve position, but without knowing where the pipes in your pic go, it would be impossible to tell.

The manual valve in your pic is wide open. If it feeds two things, like the waterfall and your pool returns, then reducing the water going to the pool returns would increase the water going to your waterfall.

Do you know what that valve does?

Show us some better pics of your whole equipment pad so we can see what is what.

Thanks,

Jim R.

NAF,

The number one reason that waterfalls run slow is that the filter is clogged
The number two reason that waterfalls run slow is that the pump speed is not fast enough.

It could be a valve position, but without knowing where the pipes in your pic go, it would be impossible to tell.

The manual valve in your pic is wide open. If it feeds two things, like the waterfall and your pool returns, then reducing the water going to the pool returns would increase the water going to your waterfall.

Do you know what that valve does?

Show us some better pics of your whole equipment pad so we can see what is what.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have marked up the pictures the way I think it works. From my pictures above, do my filters look clean enough?

1655997870132.png
1655998043396.png

NAF,

Your filter looks clean enough so that it should not affect the flow of the waterfall.

In your pic, the automated valve that turns the waterfall on and off is "closed". Could be just off in the pic.

When you turn that valve on, the handle should point straight up. This would shut off the water that was going to Pool Return 2 and turn on the water going to the waterfall pipe.

Turn your waterfall on and off and see what that automated valve does and let us know..

Thanks,

Jim R.

NAF,

Your filter looks clean enough so that it should not affect the flow of the waterfall.

In your pic, the automated valve that turns the waterfall on and off is "closed". Could be just off in the pic.

When you turn that valve on, the handle should point straight up. This would shut off the water that was going to Pool Return 2 and turn on the water going to the waterfall pipe.

Turn your waterfall on and off and see what that automated valve does and let us know..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I Just tested and when I run the waterfall all 3 ports are open. It's leaving the 2 return open. Did we screw this up during opening?

1656000319744.png

Naf,

Try this.. On the actuator, there is a little 3-way switch.. On - Off - On. Move the Switch from the current "on" to the other "on". I suspect this will turn the valve 180 degrees, shutting off the pool return #2 and allowing more water to go to your waterfall.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you are judging by the split-flow, as it appears to be pushing out far as any other, that's just that the groove needs cleaning/wiping. Has some debris. Take a thin something or other and gently swipe inside the groove. They can come with a cleaning tool, but never saw mine. Sometimes, it's just a finger wipe on the face of it. The smallest bits or build up with interrupt the sheer.

Naf,

Try this.. On the actuator, there is a little 3-way switch.. On - Off - On. Move the Switch from the current "on" to the other "on". I suspect this will turn the valve 180 degrees, shutting off the pool return #2 and allowing more water to go to your waterfall.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I tried the number 2 position, and it did the same as position 1. Just to confirm, when the waterfall is on, return 2 should close or be slightly closed to push more water to the sheer?

I tried the number 2 position, and it did the same as position 1
Do you mean the valve stayed in the same position, or that the waterfall looked the same??

Just to confirm, when the waterfall is on, return 2 should close or be slightly closed to push more water to the sheer?

Yes, that is the whole point of having the automated valve. Shutting off the pool return # 2 and opening the waterfall line.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do you mean the valve stayed in the same position, or that the waterfall looked the same??

Yes, that is the whole point of having the automated valve. Shutting off the pool return # 2 and opening the waterfall line.

Thanks,

Jim R.
It did the same as position one. It opened the waterfall but kept return 2 open. I still had all 3 returns going. How can I adjust it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Naf,

What did they do when they closed your pool last year? Did they remove the actuator?

If you moved the little switch from say the full left position to the full right position, the valve should have moved?

So I am puzzled?

With the system running, and the waterfall valve being told to open, what happens when you move the switch from the current "on" through the middle off to the other "On"? What does the valve do?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Naf,

What did they do when they closed your pool last year? Did they remove the actuator?

If you moved the little switch from say the full left position to the full right position, the valve should have moved?

So I am puzzled?

With the system running, and the waterfall valve being told to open, what happens when you move the switch from the current "on" through the middle off to the other "On"? What does the valve do?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Position 1 and Position 2 just open and close the waterfall. No difference. Honestly, I'm not sure if they removed the actuator at close. I'm thinking since the pool was only open for 1-month last year, they did the lazy approach and adjusted return 1 instead?

Naf,

Notice that the blue label on the actuator points to the right...

If you unscrewed the actuator and rotated it so that the blue label is pointed down, it should work the way you want.

The valve would then either shut off the pool return 2 or the waterfall.

If you do this, keep in mind the screws that hold actuator are much longer than the screws that hold the top on the Jandy valve. You will have to move some screws around. Make sure you get the right screws into the right place.

You could also open the actuator and readjust the stops. But I can't explain how to do that here.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Naf,

Notice that the blue label on the actuator points to the right...

If you unscrewed the actuator and rotated it so that the blue label is pointed down, it should work the way you want.

The valve would then either shut off the pool return 2 or the waterfall.

If you do this, keep in mind the screws that hold actuator are much longer than the screws that hold the top on the Jandy valve. You will have to move some screws around. Make sure you get the right screws into the right place.

You could also open the actuator and readjust the stops. But I can't explain how to do that here.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks. Do I need to turn off the pump to do this? Also, any issues on the system on having return 2 off while the waterfall is on?

Naf,

Yes, you will be taking the screws out of the top the valve, so you want the pump off.

When I turn on my waterfall, a valve moves to shut off the pool returns, and turn on the waterfall, just like yours should. It will not be a problem at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give you all an update since this might help someone with a similar issue. I was able to get the waterfall back up and running while leaving both returns open. Earlier in the season, the PB removed the sheer to replace a cracked stone. I guess when they put back the sheer it was not 100 percent level and since water takes the path of the least resistance, that affected the flow. Since I had space, I used some composite shims to get it level. It was very minor, but enough to cause flow issues. I have been running it for a full week with no issues. Thanks again for all the help.

1657222827097.png
1657222875351.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.