Waterco vs Astral Pool Filter

n00bling

Sep 10, 2021
Sydney
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I currently have a DE pool filter that my local pool supplier has been telling me needs replacing. Recently my multiport valve has been leaking water into the waste/drain pipe fairly significantly so I'm looking to replace the filter.

The local pool supplier only installs Waterco pool filters. The installer I was talking to talked up Waterco filters as the "BMW" of pool filters. He seemed knowledgeable and honest, but after ringing around and getting quotes from other installers most of them supply Astral CA-280/300 filters. One person I talked to said that Astral is actually a better filter than Waterco.

The quote I received is similar for Waterco vs Astral. Is one clearly better than the other that I should go with? Or are they fairly on par?

Did anyone check the Spider gasket on the multiport valve? I mean I can see why they'd want to sell you a new filter.....but maybe it just needs a new gasket??

Maddie 🇺🇦

No, I didn't check the spider gasket. It most likely is the cause of the leak but I have a very old filter + MPV, and so I thought it was time that it was to be replaced. There was the option of replacing the spider gasket or adding a shut-off valve to the waste pipe but my reasoning was if I'm going to have to replace the filter sometime in the (near?) future anyway then I should just bite the bullet and replace it now. Hopefully this is the right decision.

Do you have a particular type in mind? sand, cartridge or DE?
I have a Hayward cartridge my Dad has a Waterco Sand and my Brother has a Astral Sand. I'd be happy with any one but I would pick a Cartidge over a sand for my setup and location under trees.
To me it's a decision on how fine you want to filter down to, if you want to clean cartridges, be able to backwash and so on.
Most pool shops push a particular brand because they are the selected supplier not because its best for the customer.

I've actually decided to go with a Waterco Sand filter using glass pearl media. From another forum it seemed like Waterco and Astral were fairly on par.

Top on my priority list was low maintenance. From what I've read cartridges do require a bit more work every time the cartridges need to be cleaned whereas sandfilters can be backwashed every couple of months. That seemed like an easier job. It seems like I'm giving up on better filtration going with sand filters, but then glass pearl medias on paper say they can filter down to 3-5 microns which seems to be on par with cartridges so it felt like this was the right choice for me.

Reactions: CRAD_oz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.