Waterboatmen

Dec 23, 2017
Corpus Christi, TX
OK, I know what you all going to say… You have algae in your pool. OK that may be true. But I definitely don’t see any...and my chlorine has been high. I’m in South Texas where you may or may not of seen that we have gotten tons and tons of rain in the past few days (15” at my house)... put it this way I’ve had to empty my pool three times to get my water level normal and keep my pool from overflowing. During this time I kept my chlorine generator running at 85% to keep up with all the rain and prevent an algae bloom. So the rain seems to be over I have emptied my pool once again and finally am getting Around to testing my water. I do have a saltwater pool. Obviously. My CYA is currently at 70, my pH was at 7.8, and my free chlorine… Yes I know it is high... I intended it that way…Is currently at 10. I do have a lot of water boatman swimming around. This did happen the last time we got a lot of rain in June-water boatmen for several days and then they disappeared. I have never shocked my pool and it has stayed crystal Clear pretty much since the beginning… With the exception of one major storm that allowed tons and tons of dirt to wash into my pool after it was newly constructed. So in other words I have never had any issues with keeping up with the levels on my pool they have always stayed perfect. Could the water boatman be due simply to all of the freshwater being introduced to my pool at one time? And not so much to an algae bloom? Or do water boat man always indicate algae? Sorry this is so long.

Those pesky critters always seem to find a way into our water. But it can happen to us even if the pool appears TFP clean. I suspect the local rain and organic activity attributed to their arrival. While your water may appear TFP perfect, those bugs may sense a bit of organic food. You might consider increasing the FC level slightly more than normal with some regular bleach and continue watching your overall chemistry to ensure it's in good shape to discourage others from joining. They should disappear soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.