Water with blue hue

Your pH reading won't be accurate with the high FC, but you can add some acid and see if it helps with any clearing. You could also get a water sample with the small white particles and see if you can filter them onto some material (cloth?). Dry them out and then add a drop of acid onto it and see if it fizzes. If it does, then it's calcium carbonate in which case lowering the FC back towards normal and lowering the pH may help to redissolve it, though it doesn't explain the original problem of blue water.

Just an update on the condition of my pool water. After running the pump continuously since it got cloudy and bluish, the pool water now seems to look a little better - a little clearer. I did add some more MA to the pool water last week. I have not added any more chlorine. As chem geek suggested, I am lowering the FC back towards normal and then re-test. As far as the bluish tint, it is still there at the deep end. I am not sure why it looks so blue even in a cloudy day. I will post a picture later. It has been raining here since Wednesday. I am hoping the rain water will help to get rid of some of the cloudiness. I can see the bottom of the pool but it is like looking at it through a very sheer curtain. I really want to try the test that chem geek suggested to see if calcium carbonate was causing the problem.

Another update after 3 months: water is still cloudy and has a bluish hue but it appears to have improved. We installed new filters about a month ago. We added the Fiber Clear and HASA Super Stain out last weekend and the water is still not clear. We can see the drain on the bottom of the pool but it is a little blurry. Is there anything else that we should do to clear up the water? We are about to add HASA Clarifier and see if that helps. It has been a long and drawn out frustrating experience. Thanks.

By the way, the calcium level is 380 2 days ago. Can that make the water cloudy?

Just did the test:
PH - 7.5
FC - 11
CC - .5 very slight
TA - 70
CH - 380
CYA - 70
Water temp. - 88 degrees

I added 5 oz of HASA clarifier. The bottle says 1 oz per 5000 gallons of water. Within less than half an hour, the water got much more cloudy. Looks like it's dirty. I could not see the drain at the bottom of the pool any more. Does this sound normal? It is about 8:39 pm here. I am running the pool pump and pool vac until tomorrow morning. Also, when I was testing the water, I could see white particles floating in the water. I am hoping this clarifier will get rid of them.

AFter months of frustration trying to clear the pool water, I am happy to report back that it is now clear. With the help of a local pool store technician, we found out that the manifold inside the filter was to blame for the cloudy water. There were cracks on it and we glued them back together. A week later, the water still did not clear as anticipated. On July 4, we had people in the pool splashing big time in the cloudy water. Out of more frustration on the day after the holiday, I added quite a bit of MA as suggested by this forum. The PH was below 7. I added chlorine as needed. I also did another round of clarifier. On the following MOnday, July 7, the water beginning to show signs of clearing. Today is July 10, I would say it is almost crystal clear as it was before. I think it can clear a bit more. I understand some of you on this forum do not care to use clarifier. I totally agree with you all and I hesitated for a long time. But I think it did help in my situation. On the same day that the water was beginning to clear, I discovered another problem. The water that was being filtered back into the pool has bubbles and lots of it. I will post a new thread on this one. Meanwhile, I would like to thank all of you for your help. It was a long and frustrating process trying to figure out why the water remained cloudy for so long but it is over......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.