Water Turnover Cycle

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
I have a curious question. Based on a specific speed (rpm) of a Pentair Variable Speed pump, is there a way to determine the amount of time it takes for the total volume of water in a 2,500-gallon spa to complete one turnover cycle?

Thank you.

You could get the pump curves from Pentair and guess what your TDH is, but, why? Amount Turnover has no effect on chemistry or cleaning.

Take care.

There are several ways to estimate the operating point of a pump to determine flow rate. But as Marty correctly pointed out, in most cases, it is not necessary to know flow rate. Especially when trying to determine run time. There is almost no correlation between required run time and turnover rates.

However, if you are trying to determine flow rates for spa jet sizing or assessment, I can help with that but I would need a few more details on your setup:

Filter pressure and pump RPM at that filter pressure

Suction pipe size, number of suction runs and distance from pump to spa

Equipment pad elevation relative to the pool water level

You could get the pump curves from Pentair and guess what your TDH is, but, why? Amount Turnover has no effect on chemistry or cleaning.

Take care.

I agree. But I was thinking that (for example) if I add a specific amount of liquid chlorine to the water, how long would it take to reach maximum dilution. This way I could ascertain whether I needed to add additional chlorine. Does that make sense?

With your pump on in your small amount of water it will be mixed in a few minutes. The water does not have to through the pump to get mixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.