Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

My pool upon opening had green algae in it. I am
still in process of slamming it. However, water is looking spectacular over the course of 1 night difference.

levels:
FC 10
CC 0
TC 10
CYA 40
PH (tested at FC 10-11, may be inaccurate) 7.2 - 7.4
CH - 120
ALK - 70-80

I am keeping my SLAM process FC at 16, based on the CYA chart on the website.

Thank you,
g3lo

Hi thank you for the words of encouragement. Please see my pool at the moment. Looks pretty good although I think still needs work. I never managed to get OCLT less than 1. Always around 1.5-2.5 overnight test.

What is the right way to do the test? If I test at 10PM and retest at 6AM. If the FC is less than 1 I'm good? Is 8 hours enough time to properly do the test? Or too much?

thank you,
g3lo

current pool water status;
9kcpz9.jpg

20tjdpx.jpg

I usually test my FC using the 10ML line on the test kit to save on reagents, however the one exception is the few times I have done an OCLT. I perform both the evening and morning test at the 25ML line, since it is much more accurate.

I usually test my FC using the 10ML line on the test kit to save on reagents, however the one exception is the few times I have done an OCLT. I perform both the evening and morning test at the 25ML line, since it is much more accurate.

Good point. I tested my water at 10PM and retested at 650AM. Either I am doing the test inaccurately or the results are A+. I didn't think of using the 25ml sample for over night test. But with the 10ml test I had FC around 15.5 and over night about 14.5-15.

do I need to make sure my water is at shock level the night prior and then check the levels the next day prior to sunrise? Or, it doesn't really matter whether I am at shock level, as long as it's a pass it's a pass? the reason being is I want to test at 25ml and want the FC to drop slightly to save on drops to confirm I lose less than 1 FC.

i look forward to your replies

In addition to the above, I noticed that the poolmath beta app shows recommended FC of 1-3 (CYA 30-50). However, the lowest target is 3 - 5 based on CYA of 30.

was I reading the chart wrong the entire last season?

i presumed the target is what I have to maintain my FC at and the minimum is to make sure it doesn't fall below that. Does anyone ever maintain their pool between 1-3?

thank you

I would get it to shock level for overnight. You should maintain shock level until you pass the OCLT and have less than 0.5 CC. If you want to save on reagent then just do the 10ML. The only reason I go to the 25ML line is so it's a little more accurate for that test

For CYA and FC levels just use this chart.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

The only number you need is to make sure you do not let FC drop below the minimum. In the case of 30, that's a FC level of 2. The target range is so you don't drop below the 2 between times you add chlorine. I usually target the high range of my target and then never worry about dipping below FC minimum over a 24 hour period.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't use the beta app so I can't answer that specific question, but I can tell you the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link in my signature) has the good numbers. You'll do best to keep the FC in those daily ranges and not let it fall below the minimum.

Hmm... Using the iOS version of the beta Pool Math app, shows a FC "suggested range" of "3.0 to 7.0" for a CYA of 40 on my phone.

View attachment 61881

once I logged my first log it showed the proper ranges.

could you advise if I perform the OCLT at target FC level and not shock level and lose less than 1 FC, is that considered a pass? Or it's only a pass if you lose less than 1 FC from shock level?

essentially I think I passed the slam but want to confirm using 25ml sample but don't want to waste 70 drops to measure 14 FC at 0.2 increments.

thanks

I just did an OCLT using a 25ml sample at 8 FC (2 drops of the FDP powder), measuring 40 drops until pink to clear. The next morning it was showing 38-40 drops. Couldn't tell when it was fully clear. I presume if it fell it fell 0.4 FC. I guess I pass? Also, we have gloomy rainy days all week. I presume chlorine loss may be affected by the dilution slightly as well?

when I read the instructions of how much powder to put, I found it interesting that the k-2006 kit says to put 2 spoon fulls of the powder, regardless if your measuring 10ml or 25ml sample. I always used 1 spoon full for 10ml sample, is that incorrect?

thank you!

Actually, we've found that the exact amount of powder is not as important as you might think. But the 25 ML sample (dividing by 0.2) is designed to be "very" specific. Typically we advise users to use the 10 ML sample with just one generous scoop, then divide by 0.5 (divide in half). That method provides more than enough accuracy and could save you a little reagent. :) Congrats on passing your OCLT!

I assume you were doing an OCLT to see if you meet the criteria to end your SLAM:

Water is clear (No cloudiness, No visible organics) - Looks clear in your pictures. Look clear in person? if so... Check
CC is less than 0.5 - You didn't say in your last post what your level of CC was.
OCLT of less than 1 - 0.4 FC in your last post... Check

So assuming your CC was less that 0.5, Congrats!!! Go swim!

I assume you were doing an OCLT to see if you meet the criteria to end your SLAM:

Water is clear (No cloudiness, No visible organics) - Looks clear in your pictures. Look clear in person? if so... Check
CC is less than 0.5 - You didn't say in your last post what your level of CC was.
OCLT of less than 1 - 0.4 FC in your last post... Check

So assuming your CC was less that 0.5, Congrats!!! Go swim!

Hi my CC is always showing 0. I never experiencing any CC yet.

i guess I can lower my FC to target levels now. Hopefully algae won't come back. Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.