Water Temperature Effect on Testing

Bill in SoCal

LifeTime Supporter
Just wondering if water temperature would have any appreciable effect on testing results? Just started doing my own pool maintenance and care late this spring. Over the summer my water temperature was typically 80+ degrees fahrenheit. Now the water temp is regularly in 55-65 degree range. I live in southern California. Thanks in advance for any info that may provide......

Water temperatures don't really matter to any of the tests except the CYA test. There are situations where cold water can cause the CYA test to read low, though that doesn't always happen. Cold water makes it more important to do the chlorine and PH tests soon after taking the water sample, though that is always important regardless.

That's interesting to know because we close down for the summer, but still test water periodically to keep the water balanced. When we are open our water temp is 85 degrees and when we are closed we drop it to 55 degrees. Thanks I have learned that when at the temp of 55 degrees I need to test that water for chlorine and the ph immediately after getting the sample. This forum is awesome

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.