Montreal
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
We had a warm snap here last week so I opened the pool and now it looks like it will stay at 52 or 53° for several weeks.

I have tested the water and have acquired the recommended chemicals.

I have shocked it and have added the baking soda but want to make sure my water temperature is correct for applying the other chemicals.

I have a swg which of course does not function until at least 60° so I have yet to add the salt.

Please advise.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You can open the pool at any time now. Be sure to use your Taylor K-2006C test kit to test the water and adjust accordingly as noted in our Pool Care Basics page.

Below is another article that may be helpful. Remember, here at TFP we don't "shock" the water unless there is algae. If there is algae, we follow the SLAM Process.

I do a staged opening. I have a mesh safety cover but get the water flowing and balanced weeks before that comes off. I also have a robot that is happy to clean if the pool if functional or not.

As for your question.... I get the water flowing and balanced as the water temp approaches 60 degrees. Likely, you will be a bit low on CYA since you drained and refilled over the winter, so using trichlor tabs isn't a bad thing this time of year. My SWG works in the high 50s. Tricholor, SWG, bleach.... they all work to get your initial chlorine level correct. Bleach would be the quickest, but at those low water temps, speed isn't really a necessity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.