Water Sucking back through returns - any idea why?

Apr 8, 2017
houston texas
A friend of mine has a swimming pool with a infinity catch basin.

The infinity catch basin has its own pump that sucks from the bottom of the basin and sends water through large returns that go to the pool. (so sucks from basin and dumps into pool).

The pool has a seperate pump just for the pool (so he can decide when to run the infinity.).

the ifninity has a overflow drain to keep the pool from filling up to much

He has been running the overflow non stop. Recently he turned off the inifnity pump and noticed the pool level was getting really low.

We found out that when he would turn the infinity pump off, the returns that go into the pool on the for the inity would start sucking water backwards, sending it through the pump adn then from the pump into the inifinity drain forcing the water in the catch basin to overfill. Since it overfilled it was being discharced through the overflow drain. it kept doing this causing the pool to go low.
we corrected this by installed a check valve to prevent the backflow.

but why would it backflow anyways when the pump is off? (trying to understand). as the pool euqipment is about 2' taller than pool so its creating some massive suction.

For example - you could drain the catch basin, turn the pump off, and it would fill back up through the returns in the pool then back into catch basin drain.

Lucky,

I think they call it gravity... :mrgreen:

I am not sure I fully understand your layout, but it sounds about same as why a raised spa will drain back into the pool when the pump is off without a check valve.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.