Colorado
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi, I’m trying to winterize my pool using an air compressor (26 gallon 4.5cfm rating) to blow out the returns. I went through capping them one at a time with lots of air blowing out of the return before capping and I’m able to get each return plugged with no bubbles.

My problem is when I went to add antifreeze to the line at the equipment pad I am only able to get about half a gallon of antifreeze into the pipe before it seems like it is full and overflowing back out. I can also hear the sound of the pipe filling up as I add the antifreeze. Any ideas why I would have so much water in the return piping after blowing it out?

I initially had the regulator on my air compressor set to 30 psi when blowing out the lines and let it blow through the last uncapped return for at least 5 minutes before capping it. I’m wondering if I just need to get a cyclone blower. Thanks for any ideas or tips!

Last edited:
Are there any check valves or diverter valves downstream that could be stopping the flow of antifreeze ?

What level is the equipment in relation to the pool water ? If the equipment is below the pool, the pad side of the plumbing may be the low spot where whatever water you didn't get is collecting.
I’m wondering if I just need to get a cyclone blower.
It sucks paying for it, but the piece of mind it brings is worth every penny. If you divide the cost over its lifespan, it will cost you about $15 a year and you would TOTALLY pay $15 each year for that kind of performance.

Are there any check valves or diverter valves downstream that could be stopping the flow of antifreeze ? No check valves or anything.

What level is the equipment in relation to the pool water ? If the equipment is below the pool, the pad side of the plumbing may be the low spot where whatever water you didn't get is collecting. The equipment is above the pool water by a few feet approximately. That might be what’s going on though, from the pad the piping goes down then out toward the pool. If the underground horizontal run is slanted slightly toward the pad side, water may be collecting at the 90 below the pad possibly. Although since the pad is higher shouldn’t the antifreeze push the water further down the pipe instead of just filling up?

It sucks paying for it, but the piece of mind it brings is worth every penny. If you divide the cost over its lifespan, it will cost you about $15 a year and you would TOTALLY pay $15 each year for that kind of performance.

If the pipe is pitched up a little from the pad, the addition may be only pushing through the low 90 turn at the rate of gravity, slower than you're pouring.

Got any pics ?

Are you using a funnel / hose to get the antifreeze past the (presumed) horizontal entry point ?

05C1F9BC-A999-47FE-97FD-E15AEFA2023B.jpeg
I’m adding the antifreeze after the SWG using a funnel with an extension tube that reaches the 90 down. I’ve also used a borescope to peak at the 90 and you can see the antifreeze in the vertical pipe at the 90.

OK you more than have that part covered. Just checking. (y)

Hang tight for other thoughts.

What’s interesting is that the pink antifreeze still looks just as dark pink as before (added it yesterday and looked again today). I’d think if there was a decent amount of water in the pipe the antifreeze would dilute and be very light colored unless it doesn’t mix on its own.

Reactions: newdude
I concur. Unless only a little water was in there, like just enough to fill the 90 below. The first blast pushed it along and now it's all antifreeze at the uphill. 🤷‍♂️

I just tried blowing out the returns again. Originally I used a rubber blow through plug after detaching the swg. I got to thinking maybe the rubber blow through plug was a choke point for air volume so sealed up the system and tried blowing from the pump drain plug. Ended up with the same result, it only took a little less than a gallon of antifreeze before it filled up. C167D35B-D92E-475D-824B-6F6398284F3A.jpeg

I just calculated it and a gallon actually goes further than I would have thought, filling around 6’ of pipe. I think I should be safe enough in terms of frost depth until the cyclone blower shows up.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.