Water running out of overflow pipe constantly

ronde

Jun 1, 2022
Tampa Fl
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Have had pool for 3 years. If get hard rain pool would drain down to proper level. Yesterday morning I discovered my overflow pipe sending out water even when water level below skimmer. Thankfully I noticed before pump was destroyed. I talked to pool builder and they said the level is adjustable. I can not figure how this is done. See pictures of my overflow setup. For now I capped off the 2" pipe so I don't keep wasting water. The straight pipe if cap removed has water about inch below top. Luckily all 3 pipes pressed without glue. Can anybody tell me how this setup works. Thank you.Pool overflow.jpgOverflow capped.jpgPool level.jpg

Your overflow is usually in the same canister as the auto fill or sometimes in the tile line. There is usually an open pipe to set the drain level, check to see if that came loose if it’s draining to the bottom of skimmer. If it looks good maybe that’s not your drain line, maybe cut off solar and in that case it would be a valve at the equipment.

Your overflow is usually in the same canister as the auto fill or sometimes in the tile line. There is usually an open pipe to set the drain level, check to see if that came loose if it’s draining to the bottom of skimmer. If it looks good maybe that’s not your drain line, maybe cut off solar and in that case it would be a valve at the equipment.
I do not have any drain level at tile line. I do have a skimmer with 2 openings at the bottom, but no openings at a level the water should be at. These over flow pipes seem to be in line with the pool main drain. I do not have solar. Being 3 pipes at the outflow area, I was thinking maybe the level of the pool is set by the water level in the straight pipe that is capped. I was thinking of adding a coupler and more 2 " pvc to raise the water level in this straight pipe. But thinking how could this level have changed, ground sinking?

Your right something not adding up, specially since all ok till couple days ago. One other problem is low output pressure coming out of spa jets. Have Pentair 3 hp VSF motor. Thinking I need to increase rpm on spa. Not sure how to do that. Use the Pentair Easy Touch panel. pool.jpgEquip.jpg screen logic web control.

Yea I’m not seeing anything that would be the cause. Auto fill covers look similar to skimmer lids I would look around the deck and see if you have one. They are usually in front of a side drain or a return line that doesn’t move water. They look like this
585C0BFE-FCC3-40A5-9FEE-DB8CFA020DE1.jpeg

No auto fill covers, just CMP skimmer with basket and cover. I got the idea to use shop vac and blow air into pipes with pool off. The results show the overflow pipe is attached to spa jets. The 2nd pipe blows out the skimmer. I am still trying to figure out how the level of pool is created.Blow in air==.jpg

That makes much more sense, the water backed up in the Venturi of jets and if it’s below the water level would cause a siphon. You should plumb the pipe on the right 1-2ft higher than spa level. It looks like they are using the drain side of skimmer as an overflow. Maybe next heavy rain go down there and see if the middle pipe is dumping out water.

That sounds good, I did get a couple 2" coupling and a section of 2" pvc so I will try that. I'm in Tampa Fl so should get some rains from the disturbance that is coming . Still not sure why my spa jets do not put out like they did, maybe raising the spa pipe will help. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.