water pump recirculaton

Giri

Silver Supporter
Oct 21, 2021
tampa,fl
We have a salt pool in Tampa, Fl. I find water at the skimmer is below the line and right now we are not using the pool for a few days for sure. I was told differently that if we turn on pump, it does not recirculate and chlorinate as water is below the skimmer line. Is it true? We are expecting rain, otherwise will start putting water from hose.

Appreciate sharing to understand what is right. If it is really essential to run the pump and water to be above skimmer, I don't have issue. I don't want to unnecessarily waste resources if we can wait for rain.

S,

Kinds of depends on your plumbing, but it is never a good idea to run the pump if it is not going to get any water.

If the water level in the pool is below the skimmer's mouth, the skimmer will suck air and the pump will not work. If you happen to have a diverter valve under the skimmer basket it "may" close so that you are only sucking from the main drain.. I would never rely on a diverter valve.

How low is the water?

Do you have valves that allow you to select either the Main Drain OR the skimmer?

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

Kinds of depends on your plumbing, but it is never a good idea to run the pump if it is not going to get any water.

If the water level in the pool is below the skimmer's mouth, the skimmer will suck air and the pump will not work. If you happen to have a diverter valve under the skimmer basket it "may" close so that you are only sucking from the main drain.. I would never rely on a diverter valve.

How low is the water?

Do you have valves that allow you to select either the Main Drain OR the skimmer?

Thanks,

Jim R.
sorry. I am new to pools. Where do I find valves to select main drain or skimmer? Also what does it mean by main drain? Is there connection to pump at the bottom of the pool that is called main drain? I will go to the pool and check if I understand.

S,

Show us some pics of your equipment pad..

And yes, the drain at the bottom of the pool is normally called the Main Drain.. It is sometimes connected to the bottom of the skimmer and other times is connected to the equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

It looks like your Main Drain is plumbed back to your equipment pad.

You can, if you want, use the valve that is on the pipe marked Skimmer, and shut it off by turning the handle to point straight up. And turn the Main Drain on by turning the handle parallel to the ground. (It already appears to be that way in your pic)

Then turn on your pump and confirm that your pump is running, and the water is flowing back to your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply. I was trying understand. I was told that when the valve is pointing up it is off and on the side means on. According to it my setup now is like this.
-Main drain/skimmer/pool return/spa return ON
-Cleaner OFF

Does it mean the main drain and skimmer are outlets from the pool and get water into the pump and pump sends water through filter and heater to back to pool and I am assuming inlets to pool come from pipes connected from pool return and Spa return? When do you turn on 'cleaner and what does it mean by water flow? Appreciate to confirmation.

Does it mean the main drain and skimmer are outlets from the pool and get water into the pump and pump sends water through filter and heater to back to pool and I am assuming inlets to pool come from pipes connected from pool return and Spa return? When do you turn on 'cleaner and what does it mean by water flow? Appreciate to confirmation.

S,

What you said above is basically true..

Your thread started because you wanted to run the pump with the water below the skimmer. In your case you have 4 inputs to your pump. Spa Drain, Skimmer, Main Drain and Cleaner.

In your pic you are in the Pool mode, so your Spa drain is off. You have three 2-way valves that control the inputs from your Skimmer, Main Drain and Cleaner. Your Main Drain is fully open, your cleaner is off and your skimmer is about half open.

You cannot run the pump, with the water below the skimmer, because the pump will just suck air through the skimmer line. You can run the pump, with the water below the skimmer, by simply shutting the skimmer valve off. You turn the skimmer valve so that the handle is either pointed straight down or straight up that will shut off the skimmer line. With the Skimmer off, the pump will just suck water from the main drain.

The only time you should turn on the cleaner valve is when you want the cleaner to work.. I assume you have some kind of suction-side cleaner in your pool??

For normal operation, with the water level in the middle of the skimmer, I would run the pool with the skimmer wide open and the main drain just about 20% open.

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

What you said above is basically true..

Your thread started because you wanted to run the pump with the water below the skimmer. In your case you have 4 inputs to your pump. Spa Drain, Skimmer, Main Drain and Cleaner.

In your pic you are in the Pool mode, so your Spa drain is off. You have three 2-way valves that control the inputs from your Skimmer, Main Drain and Cleaner. Your Main Drain is fully open, your cleaner is off and your skimmer is about half open.

You cannot run the pump, with the water below the skimmer, because the pump will just suck air through the skimmer line. You can run the pump, with the water below the skimmer, by simply shutting the skimmer valve off. You turn the skimmer valve so that the handle is either pointed straight down or straight up that will shut off the skimmer line. With the Skimmer off, the pump will just suck water from the main drain.

The only time you should turn on the cleaner valve is when you want the cleaner to work.. I assume you have some kind of suction-side cleaner in your pool??

For normal operation, with the water level in the middle of the skimmer, I would run the pool with the skimmer wide open and the main drain just about 20% open.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, Thanks for explaining. I am understanding better. I thought volves are either on or off. Did not know that those are like analog to control the volume. I only see 3 inputs. Where do you see Spa Drain input? Also, what do you mean by it is in pool mode as spa drain is off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
S,

You have an automation system that moves the valves that have a box on top called an actuator.. There are two of them.. One in front of the pump called the Intake actuator and another one after the filter called the Return actuator. These two valves are both in the Pool mode when the pool is in use or they are in the Spa mode when the Spa is in use.

On the intake side the Spa drain comes in on the pipe with no valve at all. It is the pipe furthest away in your pic.

What kind of automation do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Jim, That makes sense. I saw some outlet on spa at the bottom. I guess that is a drain and the pipe you mentioned might bring water from Spa.

I really did not know that I have automation or what kind of automation. It is the first time we have a pool and we bought the house. It is strange to buy a house without having any knowledge transfer and I can't have any contact with the owner. I have manuals and based on that I figured out it is Reed's pools. I am thinking to call someone from their company to help with the system.

Glad this forum is helping a lot. it is overwhelming information but slowing digesting. I will open separate threads for specific questions as well. Appreciate it.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.