Water not holding chlorine level

During the SLAM you want it around 30ppm, because that is about as low as you can measure and give reasonable protection of the chlorine from the sun.

After that, depending on your level of sun, you may want a higher CYA for better protection. Even though at a higher CYA you need to maintain a higher FC, you would actually be losing few ppm each day and thus adding less bleach every day.

If you don't have some CYA the sun during the day will consume all your chlorine. During SLAM you do want to have a lower CYA level if possible but not so low you can't keep your FC up.

ok my pH is between 7.2-7.5, my initial FC & CC levels this morning were both 1.0. I added 3 gallons of chlorine and 1 1/2 hours or so later my FC is 12 and my CC is 1.5. I checked my CYA and it appears to be rising, currently it is between 10-20 with stabilizer remaining in the skimmer. Since this is my 1st attempt at slamming is the goal to maintain the FC level at a constant level until the CC level falls to less than .5 and the water clears? if so how low should I let the FC fall before adding additional chlorine?

When you test and the level is below your SLAM level add more chlorine right then. The more you keep the FC at SLAM level the faster your SLAM will go.

There have been some that test every 30 mins. for the first day and it did a LOT of good.

Most test every hour to 2 hours depending on how fast the FC drops.

It is up to you and what you are able to do time wise.

Good luck!

Kim

From 1:15 to 3:30 my FC fell from 12 to 6 and my CC fell from 1.5 to .5-1.0. I added enough chlorine to raise the FC back to 12 @ 3:30. I check the reading again at 4:30 and the FC was still 12 and the CC was still .5-1.0. At 5:15 I checked the reading again and the FC fell from 12 to 10 and the CC is .5. I will add the necessary chlorine to bring the FC reading back to 12. Seems like things are going rather smoothly but that's just my opinion and what do I know I'm still a rookie at this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.