Water not flowing from Sand Filter ...problem and solution (maybe)

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hey guys, Happy Early Summer!
I have had my pool open for about a month. No issues. I run my robot 4 to 5 times a week and I put hairnets on the one skimmer I have twice a week.
Yesterday, all of the sudden the water stopped flowing. It was still being sucked into the pump but was not flowing out of the sand filter back into the pool.
I have not been backwashing that much being I catch a lot in my hairnets in the skimmer.
So...I decided to try backwashing...barely any water came out. Then I decided to try and rinse....it paused a bit...and then everything started moving again.
Backwashing, rinsing, filtering...all was/is well now. Was my issue due to NOT backwashing frequently enough ?

Hey guys, Happy Early Summer!
I have had my pool open for about a month. No issues. I run my robot 4 to 5 times a week and I put hairnets on the one skimmer I have twice a week.
Yesterday, all of the sudden the water stopped flowing. It was still being sucked into the pump but was not flowing out of the sand filter back into the pool.
I have not been backwashing that much being I catch a lot in my hairnets in the skimmer.
So...I decided to try backwashing...barely any water came out. Then I decided to try and rinse....it paused a bit...and then everything started moving again.
Backwashing, rinsing, filtering...all was/is well now. Was my issue due to NOT backwashing frequently enough ?
Most likely, yes. Watch the gauge. Water could not have been pulled into the pump unless it was going somewhere out of the pump, if even a little. It may have been swirling in the pump. If a pump can't push water through the system it can't pull it from the pool, simple. Hair nets in a skimmer basket catch a very, very small portion of the dirt and debris that fall into a pool 24/7. And then it is only the larger stuff.

Most likely, yes. Watch the gauge. Water could not have been pulled into the pump unless it was going somewhere out of the pump, if even a little. It may have been swirling in the pump. If a pump can't push water through the system it can't pull it from the pool, simple. Hair nets in a skimmer basket catch a very, very small portion of the dirt and debris that fall into a pool 24/7. And then it is only the larger stuff.
Thanks for reply. How often should I be backwashing then with a sand filter as large as mine ?

well...looks like it is clogged up again.
I tried backwashing and then rinsing again but barely any water came out of the filter and it seems now that water is not filling to the top of the pump basket. So...I am guessing that maybe my impeller may be clogged ? Can I just turn the pump off and stick a screwdriver in thru where the basket is and clean around the impeller ? I am taking a stab here...

yes another update...
Well...I started the pump this morning. It does pull some water into the pump...but not enough to get a strong flow. I took the lid off, poured a bunch of water on top, closed, then it started working as normal. Once it gets going its fine...but getting it going on initial start seems to be an issue...anyone have any tips or something else to try that I have not done already ?

yes another update...
Well...I started the pump this morning. It does pull some water into the pump...but not enough to get a strong flow. I took the lid off, poured a bunch of water on top, closed, then it started working as normal. Once it gets going its fine...but getting it going on initial start seems to be an issue...anyone have any tips or something else to try that I have not done already ?
Are you saying the pump will not prime all the time but does so intermittently

Are you saying the pump will not prime all the time but does so intermittently

I am saying when I start the pump in the morning, it will not prime on its own. If I take the pump lid off and dump water into it (there is SOME water there already) and close it real quick, it will start working as expected.
I read thru your attached link about the suction side air leaks. I will run thru those steps to look for a leak.
One question about the second part of reason number one (in bold below)..
--how can I pour water on the lid while its running and "see" if it minimizes air in the basket ?

1. The most common source is the pump basket lid. It must have an airtight seal. Replacing the O-ring often helps. Cleaning and lubrication of the O-ring with a silicone based lubricant (Magic Lube is one brand) may be necessary. Do not use WD-40 or petroleum jelly.

Often, you can confirm this as the source by slowly pouring water over the lid with the pump running to see if that stops or minimizes the air in the basket.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support