Poohlvr571

Dec 11, 2021
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m truly at a loss. I have a 24ft round 52 inch high above ground pool. I’ve been battling an issue with significant water loss only over the winter months for the last 5 or 6 years. Never an issue during summer, other than popping the hose in occasionally to bring it up an inch or two due to loss from heat, sun, splashing, etc.

Spring of 2021, had a brand new liner put in and foam on the walls behind the liner. Still lost large amount of water over the winter.

This year I switched up the cover and went with an Eliminator Xtreme. Kind of a hybrid between mesh and winter. It has three mesh strips in the center. All seemed to be going wall. Cover would seem to drop a little bit at times. But when it rained, it would raise back up to a good level. Haven’t had to use the cover pump once.

It all went to heck yesterday. Looked fine and then we got snow yesterday. I’m In Massachusetts and my area got maybe 3-4 inches. Checked the pool this morning and cover had gone done extremely low. Got the flashlight out after work and had a peek. Looks like less than 18 inches of water in the pool (what remains is not frozen). So in went the hose and I’ll spend tonight and part of tomorrow getting the water back up.

Can I really be losing this much water to displacement? I’m at a loss, to the point I’m really considering tearing it down and getting a new pool.

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but it’s really low.

C0D10D1C-603C-48F4-8F84-C63C832DE532.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. You can be. Should be obvious where it was forced out too. Hopefully pretty much equally around. You need to put some flotation devices under the cover in the middle so water sheds off.

Is the skimmer pipe open? If so any displaced water would escape through there (this can happen even if you use a skimmer cover sometimes as they don’t always seal properly). Also check your return plugs- the rubber ones can pop out because they shrink when cold so I prefer the threaded pvc ones.
Otherwise it would have to be coming over the edges of the pool.

Reactions: woodyp
Is the skimmer pipe open? If so any displaced water would escape through there (this can happen even if you use a skimmer cover sometimes as they don’t always seal properly). Also check your return plugs- the rubber ones can pop out because they shrink when cold so I prefer the threaded pvc ones.
Otherwise it would have to be coming over the edges of the pool.
The skimmer is open. I usually use an aquadoor. But with the eliminator Xtreme cover, the pool place recommended leaving it open. For the return I use the threaded PVC one.

Spoke with local pool place in my area and they said it’s insects eating the liner from the bottom. Not sure I agree with that since I don’t have the issue any other time, except winter and if something was eating it from the bottom, it would stand to reason I would end up with no water. Lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.