Water Loss

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
Greetings!

Wasn't sure where to post this, so if it needs to be moved to a more appropriate section, please feel free to do so....

Basic question; what is an acceptable amount of water loss, during the summer, over a week (7-day) period? To better qualify it, I have an approximate 16K gallon, in-ground pool (no enclosure), and find myself losing around 1" per week. I just want to make sure I'm dealing with evaporation, and not a leak. The pool, plumbing, skimmer, equipment, surface, etc. was remodeled shortly after we bought the home, so I have no history with the pool in its original form.

Thanks!

I don't think one inch is something to get too excited about yet. Various factors contribute to water loss such as ambient temperature, amount of water surface area, and wind. Wind is a big one for me right now. Amazing how rapidly water disappears with a strong prevailing wind. Other opinions will follow I'm sure, but I think one inch is probably understandable, but if it gets worse then you may need to consider a bucket test.

I can lose nearly an inch per day ----- most during this time of year with warm water and still cool overnight temperatures. When our overnight temperatures stay near 100F, we do not lose as much ------

Yes, external variables can have a huge impact. Even though both sun & wind at elevated levels can indeed accelerate water evaporation, you have to examine how they affect your pool. If your pool is blocked from the wind and sun is shaded from trees, and you're losing a lot of water, that's a diff issue. Tx Splash stated, winds in Tx were brutal recently and my pool is open forwards the southern prevailing winds; I could see wind ripples in my pool, along w great water loss. You just have to determine your exact situation.

I'm at my ranch using my cell phone and I guess I hit the italics button..kind of looks cool so I'll leave it :)

Good luck / also, really green here ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    907 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.