Water level dropping in filter baskets during off time

May 16, 2017
Newtown, PA
I am hoping that what I am describing here is going to make sense. I have a timer on my pump. While the pump is running the water level in the filter basket area is fine. It is totally full and there are no issues. The problem comes when the pump turns back on. There is definitely not as much water in the filter basket area and it takes several minutes for the water level to come up to where it should be. Sometimes it doesn't always come back to where it was. My equipment is located at a little bit of a higher elevation then the pool and there is a flow valve installed to help with water falling back into the pool when the pump is off.

Why is this happening? How can I fix it? I have already had to replace the motor on the pump and the pool is only 5 years old. I am afraid if it continues like this I am going to continue to burn out pump motors. Any input is much appreciated.

Thank you!

jk,

Water should not run out of the pump basket, when the pump is off.. Remember when you put your thumb over the end of a straw and could pull the straw out of the glass, and the water would stay in the straw?? At least until you took your thumb off the end of the straw..

Well, your pool's thumb has a problem.. You have an air leak somewhere, which is the same as taking your thumb off the straw.. Most likely right at the pump basket lid O-Ring, but could be anywhere in the plumbing.. Can you hear any air being sucked in, when the pump is off? Do you have any small water leaks at the equipment pad?

The higher the equipment pad is over the surface of the pool, the harder it is to keep the water in the pump basket..

If this is a new pool, you should have your pool builder come back and fix it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pump lid should not move until you move it. Does it have a rubber o-ring on the lid?
EDIT: Read up a little on this pump. So the lid is 2 parts and the clear plastic on your pump moves even when the lid is locked down? If so this is your air leak. You might try replacing the pump lid, or try running a bead of silicone pool lube on the edge of the clear plastic where it meets the locking ring to see if you can get a good seal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard320
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.