Water leaking into waste

Aug 11, 2015
St Johns, MI
We are working on opening our above ground pool, we have a Hayward pump. Last year we were noticing sand in the pool repeatedly, so this year prior to opening we decided to take all sand out of the filter and check the laterals. We did that, all look fine, and put all back in, sand included. I then unscrewed the multi port top to check spider gasket, which appeared ok too. I screwed it back on, and we then proceeded to fill pool, hook everything up. Today I noticed large amounts of water coming from the top of the filter at the junction, and also water leaking into waste. No matter which position the lever in, the same. I noticed a couple screws not in all the way, so I tightened. It still seems to be leaking, though I plugged the return in the pool to slow it down. What could be going on here? I made sure the lis went on same way it came off, but did I need to lube or reseal something?? Thanks for any help! It’s ALWAYs Something. Ugh

Often times those spider gaskets need lube. It may have gotten pinched when you tried to reassemble it. I would go back and inspect the gasket very carefully, then ensure it has some pool lube on it. You may have a spring under that handle and/or some other o-rings & washers. Look those over as well and lube any rubber rings. Finally, tighten the screws in a star pattern (criss-cross) much like putting a tire back on the car so that the lid goes down evenly. See if that helps.

Reactions: Jamie A 14
Often times those spider gaskets need lube. It may have gotten pinched when you tried to reassemble it. I would go back and inspect the gasket very carefully, then ensure it has some pool lube on it. You may have a spring under that handle and/or some other o-rings & washers. Look those over as well and lube any rubber rings. Finally, tighten the screws in a star pattern (criss-cross) much like putting a tire
Often times those spider gaskets need lube. It may have gotten pinched when you tried to reassemble it. I would go back and inspect the gasket very carefully, then ensure it has some pool lube on it. You may have a spring under that handle and/or some other o-rings & washers. Look those over as well and lube any rubber rings. Finally, tighten the screws in a star pattern (criss-cross) much like putting a tire back on the car so that the lid goes down evenly. See if that helps.

back on the car so that the lid goes down evenly. See if that helps.
thanks, where do I find that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update on this thread....pool already has me worn out this season?. We have been in SLAM for about 10-11 days now and think we’re nearly done (trying to eliminate pesky dark debris on bottom of pool). We were having issues right at opening with water leaking to waste when on “filtration “. We inspected and lubed the spider gasket, things seemed ok. The last few days, noticed more consistently water (lots) accumulated in backwash hose. Last night I noticed the handle on MPV difficult to move and water leaking out the waste port while moving between positions. Does this mean the SG needs replacement, or the spring? It’s just irritating, we hadn’t had this issue at all before I took the top off the MPV to check the SG (I did so bc we thought it was sand in the pool which we now believe to be algae all along.). Any suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.