water leak

prasadkm0204

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2015
Santa Clara,CA
so i turned on the solar today just to check my temperature sensors since i been having issues (posted in another thread ). when the water direction controller turned to send the water to the roof it started leaking at that point (not sure what that device is called). is there anyway to tighten it or fix this. see the photo since i can’t seem to attach a video. i turned off the solar heating and the leak stopped.

Attachments

• IMG_6822.jpeg
    IMG_6822.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 5
What you are looking at is an motorized valve actuator that is screwed on top of a Pentair solar diverter valve.

From what you described the O rings that seal the stem of the diverter valve is leaking.

Remove the handle from the actuator and remove the four screws that hold the actuator on top of the diverter valve.

Put the handle on the stem of the diverter valve and manually turn the valve and run your system and see where the water is leaking from.

Last edited:
This shows a Jandy diverter valve but a Pentair diverter is basically the same. Use Pentair parts on a Pentair valve.

BTW, that should be a special Pentair Solar Diverter Valve that has a drain down hole in the diverter paddle. If you replace the diverter paddle make sure you get the correct replacement.

1710097987469.png

Thank you. I'll take my time to go over this and fix it. If its the O ring I probably need to something like this -

Do NOT use power tools on the screws like the guy in the video did. It is easy to cross thread a screw and strip the plastic threads or over-tighten a screw and crack the housing. Then you will have a major PVC repair replacing the entire valve.

Be careful dropping the screw into the hole and turning it backwards by hand to feel it catch the threads. Then use a screwdriver in your hand and don't over-tighten the screws.

Reactions: prasadkm0204
So I followed your steps but could not do this part.

> Put the handle on the stem of the diverter valve and manually turn the valve and run your system and see where the water is leaking from.

It felt tight to me to rotate manually and I was afraid it might break. I tried setting through the app to use solar only and set the temperature to 70/75/80 but the valve did not turn at all.

Edit: added pics
Edit 2: I made the mistake of unscrewing the next set of screws and whatever water was in the pipe to the roof came gushing out :( . My bad. I should not have done that.

Attachments

• IMG_6825.jpeg
    IMG_6825.jpeg
    400.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6826.jpeg
    IMG_6826.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You removed the cover from the actuator which you should not have done.

Replace the cover you removed.

There are four screws that mount the actuator on the valve. I circled two of them and there are two on the other side. The YouTube videos show how you remove those four screws and lift the actuator off the valve.

There are also four screws on the valve cover that hold the valve together. If you remove those screws you access the guts of the valve and water will run out.

Actuator screws.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use the Pentair O rings for the correct fit and sealing.

will do. for the time being I ended up getting one from home depot and it seems to be doing the job. there was no leak when i turned it in manually but the actuator doesn’t seem to work from the app when set to solar only. could be because the temperature isn’t warm yet to heat the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 0
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.