Water leak

Aug 10, 2007
long island, ny
Hello everyone, quick question here. I’m not losing any water, water level is stable with pump on or off & no visible drip anywhere. But I’m still getting bubbles in the top part of the pump basket. I’m not losing prime, is it possible this could be caused by pump output is more than pump Input? I have 4 returns on 2 inch line, suction& discharge. Tia.

I'd say check the basics first .... clear basket lid o-ring in good shape and lubed well with pool silicone. Same for any pump pot drain plugs. Check your water level at the poolside skimmer to make sure it's not low. Weir/flap should also be operating freely. Check any exposed suction line valves, fittings, etc before the pump for leaks.

Yes, a suction-side leak anywhere in the plumbing can show as bubbles under the pump lid. But the presence of air does not necessarily mean a leak. I don't know anything about cavitation, except it too can manifest as bubbles.

I just tested my water and checked my pad. There are bubbles under my pump lid. There always are. Sometimes a little, some times more. I just ignore them.

Have you done a bucket leak test to rule out a leak 100%?

If your pool is not leaking, and your pump is otherwise performing as expected, I think you, too, can just ignore the bubbles. If you really want an answer you can hire a pool leak detection company and have them diagnose the problem (they have tools and techniques for that). Other than observing a drip, that video I shared is the extent of my knowledge about leak detection.

Not sure where else to point you.

Yes, a suction-side leak anywhere in the plumbing can show as bubbles under the pump lid. But the presence of air does not necessarily mean a leak. I don't know anything about cavitation, except it too can manifest as bubbles.

I just tested my water and checked my pad. There are bubbles under my pump lid. There always are. Sometimes a little, some times more. I just ignore them.

Have you done a bucket leak test to rule out a leak 100%?

If your pool is not leaking, and your pump is otherwise performing as expected, I think you, too, can just ignore the bubbles. If you really want an answer you can hire a pool leak detection company and have them diagnose the problem (they have tools and techniques for that). Other than observing a drip, that video I shared is the extent of my knowledge about leak detection.

Not sure where else to point you.
D
i had the solar covers on & water level stayed the same for days. I would throttle back the discharge side to rule out pump cavitation. I have a total of seven returns...2 at the stairs, 1 was the old polaris vac return line & 4 regular return lines. Bubbles in the eye of the impeller is never good, imho.

I always turn to our pump expert, @mas985 for this stuff. I've done so lately so often that he's going to click the Ignore button for my username!

Mark, the OP has questions about pump cavitation and bubbles under the pump lid...

More than likely it is an air leak. You will not see cavitation bubbles in the pump basket. However, you will hear cavitation. It sounds like rocks going through the pump.

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.