Water keeps building up behind liner

Over the winter, the water level in my in ground pool got very low, and parts of the liner came detached from the edges of the pool. A large amount of water accumulated behind the liner.

I spent a couple of hours with a shop-vac removing water from behind the liner and dumping it back into the pool. The next day however, it seemed like all the progress I'd made had been reversed. Somehow water keeps getting behind the liner. I also seem to be losing about 3/4 of an inch of water a day.

I assume this must mean I have a leak? I don't know how old the liner it is, but I believe it's not more than 5-6yrs.

I also am having trouble getting the pump to circulate the water. It was working at first, but the pump never really got "pressurized" or totally full of water. Now it won't pull any water at all. Could this mean the leak is one of the lines somewhere, and not in the liner?

I appreciate any help!

You may have two things going on here.

pump first-when was the last time you cleaned the filter. That may be part of the problem.

liner and water-have you had a lot of rain up your way. It has be crazy here, in fact we just had a BIG rain storm move through.

Kim:kim:

Sounds like what is called a floating liner - caused by ground water exerting more pressure on the pool than the pool is putting on the ground. Not much you can do unless you have a sump installed under or around your pool.

My PB recommended a sump on ours during construction and we went with it. Now, when it rains, I just turn a valve and all the ground water gets pumped from the surrounding area and fills my pool using the pool pump. when its full, I turn the filter bypass valve on and pump the remaining ground water to the street .

Free water and no floating liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.